Different sulfites

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebiedoo

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between Sodium Metabisulfite and Potassium Metabisulfite? I'm looking to use it as a sanitizer and preservative. What contact time does it require to sanitize? I got spoiled with the "easy Clean" and the Instant sanitizing. I got some 1 step but it appears to have a 2 minute contact time to work. Need to replace the Easy Clean mixture in the spray bottle.

Thanks

Last edited:
There isnt much of a difference between these 2 besides the obvious initial active ingredient. Sodium is a little bit stronger but some people feel that they can taste that little difference and even though its very miniscule I try to keep my sodium intake down to a minimum and prefer the Potassium myself. This isnt a instant contact sanitizer either. With sulfites the gases given off during use is really what does the sanitizing but they are cheaper to use and not having a whole bunch of different chems around to do different things is what keeps most of us using this.

So when and how long do you wait after you put the Sodium Metabisulfite in, do you bottle ?

If you are adding it to your wine you can bottle right then if you want or you can age it more in vessel but if you wait more then say 3 1/2 - 4 months youll need to add more sulfites then.

If you do bottle right away after adding Kmeta, just make good and sure it is 100%, totally dissolved.into the wine and well stirred.

Latest posts

Back