Flextank

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Mike, did you say you had to commit to buying before they told you the shipping cost? I've been thinking of buying 3 of them but high shipping wouldn't make it cost effective.

No I was emailing back and forth with their person (a lady) who handles the orders. Sounds like they may have a "flat" rate shipping cost of $49 to where ever.

Mike,
What wine are you planning on putting into this Flextank this year? Will you have enough to top up or will you go with adding an inert gas?

Steve

I currently have 75 gallons from this year. I have 4 barrels (23L) that I would normally run ~48G through in a year (6 months in a barrel) That leaves me ~27G to run through a Flextank I have a lot of options especially this year so its a great time for me to try this out and perhaps begin phasing out barrels etc. if I like the outcome.

Placed the order yesterday should see it late next week sometime. They do have a "flat rate" shipping rate with UPS so if your on the east coast your getting a better deal than someone on the west coast for sure. She said she could see if the USPS might be cheaper but I declined to have it shipped by them......

I am getting the 15G tank and they are throwing in some free Winestix. You can have either American or French oak, your choice.

Tempting. What I have in carboys right now are a total of 11 gallons of Cab/Merlot blend and 13 gallons of OVZ. Once I rack though those totals would be less obviously. So if I decide on the 15 gallon I would need to use inert gas. Or just simply forgo this year. Plan for next year.
Either way I am going to follow your progress Mike.

Thanks
Steve

I made a very nice blend in 2013 that I just bottled this summer. 50% Zin, 25% Cab Sauvignon, 25% Merlot. You could always come up with a blend of your wines and then blend up enough now for a 15G Flextank. Then either rack down what's left to smaller vessels or make another blend out of what you have left. Blends make a better wine unless your buying top quality grapes IMHO.

Mike,
That is a great idea!
As it stands right now, the Cab/Merlot blend is already set, the OVZ is on it's own right now.
So, yes I could add some of the Cab/Merlot to it age this in the FlexTank.
Once ML is complete on these will rack and determine how much I would need to add and look at ordering one.

Steve

Take the 13 gallons of Zin, add 2 gallons of cab/merlot ------> Flextank

Take remaining 9 gallons of cab/merlot, rack down to 6G carboy and a 3G carboy....... DONE! :sm

Mike,
Your order included the 15 gallon, bung airlock and valve? Or purchased separately?
I need to get on ball in ordering, I'm guessing the Zinfandel that we will age in should be done with ML in 1-3 weeks

Steve

I am not at home at the moment but its a little taller and a little wider than a standard 6G carboy. With wine weighing ~8lbs/G its going to weigh over 120lbs once full. I don't think you want to be picking that thing up by any handle or otherwise once its full.

Latest posts

Back