Racking/headspace

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
I just racked my CC Riesling off the fines to another 6 gallon carboy (airlocked) where I plan to bulk age it for a while. Having a lot of sediment and oak cubes left behind, made me about 750ml short of filling the carboy. I saved the sediment and have it settling out now. The carboy level is above the shoulder but has about a 9 inch diameter surface area of exposure. Is my carboy safe for a few days until I can top it off. I do have other commercial wine I could top off if I need to.

If sulfited you are fine for a few days. Best to keep it in a cool area. Attend to it as soon as you can. The sediment will settle out of the little wine it's in and you can use that in a day or two.

Hmm, not a bad idea letting the sediment settle out and then back fill with it. I just let it settle in the fridge and then drink it. :B

I do that will many of my wines. Put the majority of the sediment and wine into a magnum bottle. Chill it and after a few days they have seperated enough you can top off your wines if need be.

When I have a bunch of my "big" reds I blend all the remaining 1/3 gallon etc together, seperate the sediment and then come up with a house wine. Usually one or two gallons but it's not wasted and it turns out really well.

This past season I did 1 gallon with oak and one without.

if you haven't degassed it will be fine, the co2 layed will protect it. I fill large areas in carboys with co2 from my tank all the time

It was stabilized and degassed 3 weeks ago. The lack of CO2 was my main reason for concern.

Latest posts

Back