Hello from Kansas!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxsoneric34

Junior
Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I have a small farm here in Kansas and have been thinking about growing a vineyard here! Last spring i planted a plot of blackberry and red/yellow raspberries which did very well! So i plan to add to that this spring 2018! My question here is i am not sure if i want to grow grapes to make wine or to sell to wine makers here around me. I have tried to make some batches of homemade and haven't had much success at it but with the lay of the land i like the theme of the vineyard. It would allow me to add some cottages in the vines for rental with the growing popularity of wineries here locally. I plan to take soil samples to the extension office for testing here in the next few weeks and start planning for a spring planting. Thoughts or ideas getting started would be greatly appreciated!!

visit the Kansas Grape Grower Association on the web and you will find a list of vineyards and wineries near you. all would be glad to answer any questions you may have. I live in Overland Park and once own a winery and vineyard in KCK presently retired. would be glad to answer any questions you have.

You need to select your varieties soon and order them fro Double A Nursery in New York, they are also on web. some varieties sell out quickly. have you any thoughts on which varieties you wish to plant. coordination with wineries would help to decide .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replying! I have been considering LeCresent for a white and havn't settled on a red yet. Would like to start 50 plants or so of each to start and see w how that goes.

I believe there is a winery near you at Eudora called Blue Jacket, might chat with them on there best red performer. Chambourcin is a great producer. Norton can be very vigorous as well although acid level can be a bear when making the wine from Norton.

We have been to Blue Jacket and Davenport in that area and like both! We have picked grapes at Blue Jacket! I talked to one here close to us yesterday and will be putting a plan together shortly. What do you know about the Noriet Grape?

I used to grow the Noriet grape in Kansas City Kansas before I moved to a retirement community. It has a good growth, can be quite vigorous requires some summer pruning. grapes ripened well. good wine. I grew it on a high cordon trellis.

Latest posts

Back