What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, okay, I will see if I can find it and have a sip!

Don't let them bully you. Yes, your first choice was rather simple vs. complex, but it is not a bad first choice in my humble opinion (you can tell how old I am since I didn't drop an IMHO for that one). There are bottles to try other than those two. You do need to sample many to get a good overall basis for your research. Enjoy the journey!

Last edited:
Started with Two Arrowheads Viognier/Roussanne from Paso, followed by Torbreck Vineyard's "Woodcutters" Shiraz from Barossa Valley.

Been beering all afternoon. Got my testing done so poured a glass of a Harford Vineyards 2015 Cab Franc that I bought today. Light in body and color, but a nice peppery finish. I think my wife will like some of this tomorrow afternoon. I'm converting her to the "dry side", and this is a good one for her to try (not too much oak, not too much body, not sahara like dry (a bit of fruitiness evident)).

Edit: actually the more of this I drink, the more I notice the nice oak background. There might not be any left if I keep pouring glasses of this...sort of like tipping a carboy. Eventually it will get empty.

9-16-17_cab-franc.JPG

Last edited:
Find a bottle of the Pundit!

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Does this count? I am getting closer....

So, I was in a different local grocery store that has a fairly wide wine selection (a few hundred labels, I would say). They had little in the way of Washington Syrahs, but I spied this. I was pretty sure it was from "the same people" as The Pundit, but was very confused when I saw it was from France (Costières de Nîmes, far southern Rhone valley). It was originally priced at ~$26, then marked down to ~$18, and on special this week for ~$12. I nabbed one. Online, the lowest price I see is $20. And, yes, somehow my poor knowledge was correct. Tenet Wines is a collaboration between people in Washington and people in the Rhone Valley. So I got wine from the right winery, but the wrong side of the Atlantic :?

Opened it for dinner tonight, and it was quite lovely. The nose is strong, and redolent of blueberries (actually, almost like artificial blueberries!). It was good, but I will admit that I would have been disappointed had I shelled out $26 for this wine. But no complaints here!

DSCN0662.jpg

Does not count.

Look for the Owl!

Tenet-the-Pundit-Syrah-e1490883915792.jpg

Does this count? I am getting closer....

I finally bottled my WE Italian Piedmont Eclipse Nebbiolo. I had left it bulk aging for a really long time, namely, 22 mos. This was due to a combination of laziness, benign neglect, having plenty of other wine, and not needing the carboy it was in. Not surprisingly, I have never bulk aged that long before.

It is lovely. It is drinking wonderfully right now. Very approachable, very quaffable, very tasty.

Cascina Chicco Roero Arneis. Was at a restaurant a few weeks ago and this was recommended by our very wine-literate waiter. We were back there tonight and I had it again. Fantastic white wine - think of a combo between Viognier and Sauvignon Blanc. The great citrus and minerality of the SB, combined with the wonderful floral and stone fruit notes of a Viognier. Not a very common grape, but If you find one, I recommend it.

I finally bottled my WE Italian Piedmont Eclipse Nebbiolo. I had left it bulk aging for a really long time, namely, 22 mos. This was due to a combination of laziness, benign neglect, having plenty of other wine, and not needing the carboy it was in. Not surprisingly, I have never bulk aged that long before.

It is lovely. It is drinking wonderfully right now. Very approachable, very quaffable, very tasty.

Good to know. I'm only at 6 months with mine.

Mike, just wondering....

Would you mind terribly if I were to stop by, just before dinner, a few days a week? You know, just for a quick hello and perhaps a drink. I would be happy to bring a 6-pack of beer and a bottle or two of my kit wines.... That would be equitable, right? :i

You show up and I will pop a few corks! LOL I had forgotten just how good this wine was!

Mike, just wondering....

Would you mind terribly if I were to stop by, just before dinner, a few days a week? You know, just for a quick hello and perhaps a drink. I would be happy to bring a 6-pack of beer and a bottle or two of my kit wines.... That would be equitable, right? :i

2014 LaCrema Chardonnay. Wonderfully crisp AND buttery, with very little (if any) hint of oak. Sort of a 'best of both worlds' kind of Chardonnay.

I served a rehash of last night's "pastrami," which, you have to admit, is a hard pairing A friend was invited tonight, and she showed up with a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, which I think worked as well as anything could. Of course, we were "softened up" by preprandial servings of my Pinot Gris/Viognier blend, and we rounded the meal out with my WE Selection Petit Verdot (~"meh"). No complaints on my end!

Latest posts

Back