Vacuum degassing - How much vacuum should I pull and why

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to clarify everything -

The Allinonewinepump has a specially designed pump, because there was no others with the specs that I was needing to make the best vacuum wine transferring system out there.

It is not your typical 12 dc volt system - but a much higher voltage in order to run the vacuum pump which is attached to it.

The LPM (liters per minute ) are around 25 and the vacuum is 22 in. -Hg

Some of the earlier posts say that the vacuum should be less than 20 in. when using a vacuum pump for de-gassing, or presumably you will begin to evaporate alcohol from the wine. I haven't actually researched it myself yet, so I'm just repeating what I believe I read in some earlier posts. In addition the specific limit would not be a fixed vacuum level but would be temperature-dependent.

In any case, it does raise a new concern that I had not considered. Since you say your pump is 22 in., does that mean that I am in danger of evaporating the alcohol in my wine when I use my allinone pump for de-gassing?

Some of the earlier posts say that the vacuum should be less than 20 in. when using a vacuum pump for de-gassing, or presumably you will begin to evaporate alcohol from the wine. I haven't actually researched it myself yet, so I'm just repeating what I believe I read in some earlier posts. In addition the specific limit would not be a fixed vacuum level but would be temperature-dependent.

In any case, it does raise a new concern that I had not considered. Since you say your pump is 22 in., does that mean that I am in danger of evaporating the alcohol in my wine when I use my allinone pump for de-gassing?

By no means at all !!

Typically alcohol will not start to boiling till below -25 in HG , all depending on your altitude and temperature. Considering it takes less than 4 minutes to do a transfer there is nothing to worry about.

By no means at all !!

Typically alcohol will not start to boiling till below -25 in HG , all depending on your altitude and temperature. Considering it takes less than 4 minutes to do a transfer there is nothing to worry about.

My altitude is 500 ft. The temperature of the wine and ambient in the winery was about 60 F.

My concern was not with the actual wine transfer per se, but with the de-gassing process. So several times during a transfer I close the valve to stop the transfer and let the vacuum build up in the receiving carboy. The last time I did this very large amounts of foam - several inches - came up each time I did it. I was assuming this was only CO2. Now I'm wondering: did I also evaporate some alcohol? Hopefully not.

The altitude is just above 500 for Chicago - so no worries there -

The temperature of the wine should be at least 10 degrees warmer or around 72 degrees in order to remove the CO2

More than likely you did not remove any alcohol due to the cold temperature that you initially started with.

Even at 85 degrees at 22 in - hg you still will not boil alcohol

Why is important for all the wine entering the carboy to experience the same constant pressure? I'm a relative newbie, so sorry if this should be obvious, but it isn't to me.

I wouldn't raise it to the level of "important".

The reason is the wine entering during the initial phase experiences a higher pressure, so degasses less effectively. In the grand scheme of things, it is a minor point.

Just to clarify everything -

The Allinonewinepump has a specially designed pump, because there was no others with the specs that I was needing to make the best vacuum wine transferring system out there.

It is not your typical 12 dc volt system - but a much higher voltage in order to run the vacuum pump which is attached to it.

The LPM (liters per minute ) are around 25 and the vacuum is 22 in. -Hg

I literally put all the parts together by hand - connecting rod,piston,cylinder, and so on. All are lubricated with synthetic oil to make them last alot longer than the 1 year warranty.

I know I had some emails asking about the pump and all - So I decided to take a picture of just the connecting rods - minus the bushing,top plate and piston ring and many other parts that all have to be hand assembled.

The key is to make sure that it has a piston over a diaphragm pump in order to produce the correct amount of LPM and vacuum.

I hope I didn't give out too much information - If I did I guess I will have to call it the ORIGINAL ALLINONEWINEPUMP !

This process also goes for the entire vacuum pump enclosure as it is well deigned and all dado cut and made from plastic materials. I made it from plastic materials that were mainly entire washable,knowing it may get a drip or 2 of wine on it - LOL.

20150124_211828 [700x394].jpg

Wow, so you actually build the vacuum pump yourself? That is so cool. That really makes your All In One winepump totally unique.

dralarms and everyone else -

Everything about the Allinonewinepump is designed by hand from any custom bung you may need, to all hand made bottle fillers- everything that is included in the pump kit is all made and developed by our family.

We do not feel that we would get the same high standards if we were to contract it out - Also, we don't feel it is necessary to outsource, as we are able to keep up with production demands. We typically do not advertise much as we believe in the word of mouth is the best approach.

Please take a look at this link - this is about me and my family and the Allinonewinepump -

http://allinonewinepump.com/about-us/

dralarms and everyone else -

Everything about the Allinonewinepump is designed by hand from any custom bung you may need, to all hand made bottle fillers- everything that is included in the pump kit is all made and developed by our family.

We do not feel that we would get the same high standards if we were to contract it out - Also, we don't feel it is necessary to outsource, as we are able to keep up with production demands. We typically do not advertise much as we believe in the word of mouth is the best approach.

Please take a look at this link - this is about me and my family and the same Allinonewinepump -

http://allinonewinepump.com/about-us/

I knew it was a great product. There was a bunch of time, planning and thought into the making the AIO. It shows too.

Latest posts

Back