WineXpert SHOULD I MIX IN MY SEDIMENT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TES Wines

Junior
Reaction score
SOME OF THE THINGS I HAVE BEEN READIND AND VIEWING ON-LINE HAVE SAID THAI IN WE KITS THE CLARIFYER NEEDS SEDIMENT TO WORK. SHOULD I STIR MY CARBOY BEFORE TRANSFERING IT TO THE NEXT CARBOY OR JUST TIP IT AND TRY TO KEEP IT AS CLEEN AS POSSIBLE. THIS IS ON A WE SONOMA CAB CRUSHENDO KIT AND THERE SEEMS TO BE A LOT OF SEDIMENT IN THE BOTTOM.

It should mix up nicely when you stir to degas. The sediment will drop and compact when you add it to clear.
VC

The regularWE kits tell you not to rack before fining. In those cases it does need the light lees from secondary to clear. But the Crushendos are different. They have more total dissolved solids in them and you are suppose to rack before fining those. I haven't made a Crushendo in awhile but I'm assuming those instructions did not change. Since you're doing a Crushendo, just rack like it says and you'll be fine.

If you are in a carboy now then there is no need to rack to abother until after you have fined it.

wade said:
If you are in a carboy now then there is no need to rack to abother until after you have fined it.
I hate to contradict a moderator, but it appears Jackie was correct that the crushendos have different procedures for stabilizing. Here is the verbage from the WE website:

1. Place the carboy up at least 1 meter (3 ft.) on a sturdy table.
2. Rack the wine into your sanitised, rinsed carboy. Do not top up at
this time.
3. Dissolve contents of package(s) #2 (metabisulphite) and package(s) #3 (sorbate) in 250 ml (½ cup) of cool water. Add to carboy and stir very vigorously for 2 minutes to disperse the stabilisers and drive off CO2.

So it looks like you are supposed to rack a crushendo before stabilizing. I haven't done one yet, but look forward to it.

Latest posts

Back