How soon does that sediment need to go?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

critterhunter

Reaction score
We are about 5 weeks into making our first batch of wine which is pear. We have done 3 rackings so far if you count moving it from the primary to the secondary the first time.

Since this is our first time making wine we botched removing the sediment the 2nd and 3rd racking, as we poured that through a mesh bag and squeezed it until we found out that most of the sediment passes back in. The third racking we just poured it through a mesh bag and didn't squeeze it and that removed about 3/4ths of it, but now we hear we should just rack the sediment into a smaller bottle to seperate juice that way down the road.

OK, so what I'm saying is this- It's about 8 days after this last racking and we have about 1 to 1 & 1/2" of sediment at the bottom already. The wine has been clearing nice, having a mostly see through orange/bronze colors. I had heard pear wine doesn't clear easily so I was happy to see this without adding anything.

My main concern is the sediment. Since we kind of botched that up until now and still have a good portion of it at the bottom of the bottle that is probably mostly from the initial primary, I'm concerned that we need to remove it as soon as possible. I thought we heard still having a good amount of sediment from the primary (having poured/squeezed it through a bag) that this will start to negatively effect the taste of the wine unless we do a proper racking to get rid of most of it?

So should we do another racking less than 2 weeks out here, or how long should we wait before racking it again? Like I said, the wine already seems fairly darn clear. I'm not concerned about clearity, I just don't want the wrong type of sediment starting to screw up the wine.

Also, since the wine is already pretty clear, is there a set time we have to wait before bottling? I was thinking of racking it just one more time, then bottling another 2 or 3 weeks later. I mean, if there is still some sediment at the bottom when bottling does that even matter so long as the wine is pretty clear?

IMO - if you have transferred over the lees - gross lees from from the primary - i would rack off again. 1" to and 1 1/2" is probably from the gross lees still.

It may have a negative effect - you would have to taste and smell it to see if it has affected it.

Have you sulphited it at all? If not - i would add some at this point 1/4 tsp per 6 gallons.

Yup, I agree with winemaker.

You need to get rid of that sediment.

In reading you writeup above, you mention pouring. Try syphoning...

1) do not move your carboy once the wine has cleared. The name of the game is to not "kick up" the sediment.

2) remove stopper and insert hose 1/2 way down.

3) start syphoning and gradually lower the hose until you reach the bottom. When you get down to the bottom and start sucking up cloudy wine, STOP!!.

with this method, you will get just a tiny bit of sediment transferred over that can be easily removed the next time you rack.

you can pour what remains in your carboy into a smaller bottle and let that settle to be used as top off the next time you rack.

Winemaker, I am having a wordy day!!!!

Yup, I agree with winemaker.

You need to get rid of that sediment.

In reading you writeup above, you mention pouring. Try syphoning...

1) do not move your carboy once the wine has cleared. The name of the game is to not "kick up" the sediment.

2) remove stopper and insert hose 1/2 way down.

3) start syphoning and gradually lower the hose until you reach the bottom. When you get down to the bottom and start sucking up cloudy wine, STOP!!.

with this method, you will get just a tiny bit of sediment transferred over that can be easily removed the next time you rack.

you can pour what remains in your carboy into a smaller bottle and let that settle to be used as top off the next time you rack.

This will be easier using a racking tube..

Winemaker, I am having a wordy day!!!!

I have noticed that!!! :h How many cups of coffee have you had :)

Along with the racking cane, put a block of wood about one inch thick on one side of the carboy a couple days ahead of racking. The lees will kind of slide to the lower side, but remain clear and undisturbed. Take your racking cane and using a wood clamp or store bough holding device, lower part way into the wine, start your siphon (auto siphon is easiest). Once siphon has begun, move the racking cane to the high side of the carboy away from the deepest lees. You can lower right down to the lees carefully, especially if the cane is fitted with the plastic tip. This allows you to get maximum lees out while recovering maximum wine.

What begins to occur to the gross lees is they begin to decompose. There is alcohol in there so it occurs over a slower time than if not and exposed to oxygen. However there are microorganisims that are converting these lees (dead yeast and misc. pulp and skin bits) into waste and giving off flavors not desirable to your wine.

Since you have racked off several don't worry but yes you should very soon siphon off the wine off of the sediment. Siphon slowly as your tube gets closer to the bottom and yes use a bung or a board to slowly raise up the carboy and move more wine to your tube.

The tiny amount you may pick up is fine and that will be remove later on. Definitely add sulfite and sorbate if you plan to sweeten.

We all do things along the way that we thought we would have known better but slipped our mind. Wine making can be forgiving and you have educated yourself wheather you realized it or not.

Thanks for the tips. Yes, we siphone the clear wine every time but have been pouring the sediment through a bag and even squeezed it the first time. I'm guessing you only put the sediement into a bag and squeeze somewhat the first time, when you are going from the primary to the secondary? After that you should just rack the sediment into a smaller jug to try to get more juice when that settles? Good tip about tipping the judge so you get most of the juice. So that's why the glass siphone cane when clipped to the jug wants to sit at the edge of the jug? It was a pain getting it to stay in the center but now I see it's meant to ride at the side so you can tip the judge.

We'll rack that sediment into a smaller jug by Monday, then top off the wine with another bottle of wine. Any tips on what type of wine to buy that is cheap that would match up to the pear better?

have been pouring the sediment through a bag and even squeezed it the first time. I'm guessing you only put the sediement into a bag and squeeze somewhat the first time, when you are going from the primary to the secondary? After that you should just rack the sediment into a smaller jug to try to get more juice when that settles? Good tip about tipping the judge so you get most of the juice. So that's why the glass siphone cane when clipped to the jug wants to sit at the edge of the jug? It was a pain getting it to stay in the center but now I see it's meant to ride at the side so you can tip the judge.

I can't speak for everyone, but I have NEVER used this bag method you list above. I always syphone and let mother gravity take control. If you use the syphon method we suggest, then you might end up loosing only a couple of cups of sediment containing (oh, I dunno) about a cup of wine? I mostly accept the loss.

Something to consider.. When you squeeze the bag, are you sure that it is just wine that seaps through? does the resulting wine (comming from the bag) taste any different than the clear wine you just racked? If there is a difference, and the wine from the bag smells off or tastes funny, then I would think twice about pouring it into the clear wine.

Latest posts

Back