Airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewisericeric

Reaction score
Hi guys

My wine equipment all arrived today and i've just started my first kit :)

The first one I'm making is a red wine - Beaverdale Barolo.

I sterilised everything and did everything as per the instructions but am just wondering, when should I see the bubbles passing through the airlock as I haven't seen anything yet? (The yeast was only added about 20minutes ago!)

Thanks!
Lewis

Hi guys

My wine equipment all arrived today and i've just started my first kit :)

The first one I'm making is a red wine - Beaverdale Barolo.

I sterilised everything and did everything as per the instructions but am just wondering, when should I see the bubbles passing through the airlock as I haven't seen anything yet? (The yeast was only added about 20minutes ago!)

Thanks!
Lewis

Hi Lewis,

Your kit instructions should have told you to take an SG readinig with your hydrometer before fermentation started. What was that reading?

It will take as long as 72 hours before you see any activity in your air lock. The true test of whether fermentation is underway is if your SG reading is falling, not bubbles or even fermentation smell.

The warmer your must temperature, the sooner it will start fermentation. Don't worry about it, check the SG each day and you will see it falling.

Does your kit instructions say to install an air lock already? Is your fermentor lid snapped down tight or just setting on top?

Have fun!

Hi guys

thanks for the response. Not long after I asked my question, the bubbles started coming through!

The starting SG was 1072. However, if I keep opening the air lock to take SG readings will this not spoil the wine?

Additionally, can someone tell me if the little cap that sits on the very top of the bubbler should be on or off? At the moment I have it off as I'm thinking that if I have it on, the whole unit will be sealed and the CO2 won't be able to escape and therefore the demijohn will still explode.

Am I correct?

Cheers!

Lewis, Leave the cap on. It helps to prevent bugs and fruit flies from going into it. It is fitted with tiny airholes to let the gas pass through.

Keep that little cap on as it keeps fruit flies out of your airlock. Opening the lid will not harm your wine and in fact theoretically it treally should be off and the bucket just covered with a breathable cloth to let 02 in and C02 out so that your yeast get planty of 02.

but this kit doesnt require a primary and secondary fermentation? its all done in one go and it says to fit the airlock?

In the airlock ive filled with a campden solution so surely that should kill any flies or bacteria?

thx

Some kits stay in the bucket and I like that procedure myself better but keep that cap on. Flies will still get curious as they smell the gases coming out that smell like grapes and will enter!

but surely if i keep the cap on will that not seal the CO2 inside and cause an explosion?!?! because thats then like having just the bung in?

It's best to keep the cap on - as Runningwolf mentioned, the cap is vented to allow gasses to escape.

There are little tabs on the very top of the airlock which keeps that cap slightly suspended . Take3 the airlock off for a second and blow through it, youll see that it is not hindering anything and is there just to keep out the bugs> Believe me, the bugs will get into that solution, its what they do. Its suicide in a bugs life!

Some of the caps have vent holes in the top and others have ridges/tabs that prevent a tight seal and allow venting. Trust us, they are all vented.

Brilliant guys. thanks for that! The cap is on, fermentation is well and truly underway. This morning the bubbles are going through the airlock about once every 5seconds!

Im loving listening to the noise ! (sad much!?)

Latest posts

Back