RJ Spagnols En Priemieur Chilean Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msfgroup

Reaction score
Good Morning

We started the the Chilean Merlot in the Primary last Friday 1/13/17 per the instructions in the kit and all started as expected and fermentation began Saturday morning at a pretty good rate. As of this morning "Sunday" it is still fermenting and perking the airlock at about the same rate. We were planning to do the first racking today but a little concerned with the aggressive activity still in the airlock. I have not opened it or checked the SG due to its activity. Should I wait a couple more days?

Looking for any and all input. We are very new to this hobby and still have a lot to learn.

Many thanks

MSF Group
Mike and Sherry

Good Morning

We started the the Chilean Merlot in the Primary last Friday 1/13/17 per the instructions in the kit and all started as expected and fermentation began Saturday morning at a pretty good rate. As of this morning "Sunday" it is still fermenting and perking the airlock at about the same rate. We were planning to do the first racking today but a little concerned with the aggressive activity still in the airlock. I have not opened it or checked the SG due to its activity. Should I wait a couple more days?

Looking for any and all input. We are very new to this hobby and still have a lot to learn.

Many thanks

MSF Group
Mike and Sherry

You should open it and check the SG. The times given are estimations, you should rack to glass based upon SG. If you rack too early, while there is a lot of activity, you risk foaming into the airlock, or a wine volcano, too late and you risk excessive oxygen exposure. If you rack somewhere in the 1.000 - 1.010 range, you should be safe on both counts. Let the hydrometer be your guide until your wine has completely finished fermentation, after that, time becomes the most important factor in the development of your wine.

Latest posts

Back