Aging question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmann67

Rennaisance Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got 6 wines in aging right now and may not have a ton of time to spend in the cellar over the next few months. Rather than rack and rush through them, I was thinking I'd just dose them on their schedule (every 3 months) and leave until later in the spring when I'll have more time to work on them.

They're all racked off of an gross lees. Fine lees, and in some cases oak cubes, only. Is there any downside to just dosing them with kmeta and leaving them be?

I agree. I have only had one wine in a carboy longer than 6 months. Guess we'll see what 10 months will do to a wine.

Really, I was more concerned about the finer lees and the oak at the bottom and whether they'd give the wine any off flavors if left an extra 4 months or so.

Last edited:
Really, I was more concerned about the finer lees and the oak at the bottom and whether they'd give the wine any off flavors if left an extra 4 months or so.

Not from my experience. Check on them every so often - make sure the airlocks are full and maybe pop them off to take a quick whiff.

I age everything in the carboy for almost 1 year. Just in time for following years vintage.

I agree. I have only had one wine in a carboy longer than 6 months. Guess we'll see what 10 months will do to a wine.

I think I should come over and pick up those carboys and babysit them until your life becomes normal again, that's the least a wine making buddy could do. I can rack them, taste them, taste them again, taste them to double check the last tasting, rack them, taste them, oops dropped the sample, taste them again...:h

I think I should come over and pick up those carboys and babysit them until your life becomes normal again, that's the least a wine making buddy could do. I can rack them, taste them, taste them again, taste them to double check the last tasting, rack them, taste them, oops dropped the sample, taste them again...:h

You are a true friend!

Maybe we could pass them around. Plenty of quality control that way. Arne.

Latest posts

Back