Broken Carboy !!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the exact same story as bksel. I truly miss that carboy.

It makes you want to whine

@JohnT
What is in that 1 gal. carboy and why is it only 3/4 full?

@JohnT
What is in that 1 gal. carboy and why is it only 3/4 full?

Good Eyes!!

That was the final gallon of wine from a 300 liter run of chardonnay.

The run filled the 300 liter tank, then went on to fill a carboy, and then we managed to tightly squeeze out a full gallon jug (the gallon jug took about an hour of pressing to fill). In short, that was the final, final, final pressings from about 1,000 pounds of grapes.

At racking off of the gross lees, I simply lowered the 300 liter tank lid (Viva la VCSS tank!), but used part of the gallon to top off the carboy (this was all I wanted it for).

We did end up sipping some from the gallon jug. It was bitter, and seriously tannic. My plan was to dump it now that it served its purpose. worth saving.

I simply had not gotten around to dumping it when I took the picture.

Good Eyes!!

That was the final gallon of wine from a 300 liter run of chardonnay.

The run filled the 300 liter tank, then went on to fill a carboy, and then we managed to tightly squeeze out a full gallon jug (the gallon jug took about an hour of pressing to fill). In short, that was the final, final, final pressings from about 1,000 pounds of grapes.

At racking off of the gross lees, I simply lowered the 300 liter tank lid (Viva la VCSS tank!), but used part of the gallon to top off the carboy (this was all I wanted it for).

We did end up sipping some from the gallon jug. It was bitter, and seriously tannic. My plan was to dump it now that it served its purpose. worth saving.

I simply had not gotten around to dumping it when I took the picture.

I gotcha.
Yeah, it has a pink "hue" to it in your pic so thought it was some sort of a) experiment or b) fruit wine. I was more curious about all the headspace.

Does dumping wine ever bring forth warm fuzzies ?

Cheers!
-johann.b

(other than "dumping" it down your throat that is....)

Does dumping wine ever bring forth warm fuzzies ?

Cheers!
-johann.b

(other than "dumping" it down your throat that is....)

Dumping 3/4 of a gallon does not feel bad when you already have 27 liters more than expected. The dumped wine amounted less than 1% of the total volume.

Latest posts

Back