Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well I finally received my computer back and ready to post pics...
Barbl172,,,it's a lot to absorb but just take it in bits and then it's not so much because it's repeated over and over with some variation's ...
you are correct there should be no chemical adjustments to the water the MFG, has seen to it that you don't need to.
THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX IS EASY JUST LISTEN,LEARN AND HAVE FUN,ALWAYS ASK QUESTION,,,ALWAYS

Has anyone taken 3 Fontana kits put together to make 12 gallons of what ever?
Seems $125 for 60 bottles of very fine wine is available.
Just sayin.

It not a bad idea think of the combinations you can come up with, same theory as a winery would do.
Think outside the box.

Has anyone taken 3 Fontana kits put together to make 12 gallons of what ever?
Seems $125 for 60 bottles of very fine wine is available.
Just sayin.

I did something similar a few times a few years ago. Threw multiple kits on grapes skins I had in a couple of batches too. The fontana malbec and pinot noir made good wines with tweaks like these.

That seems a little extreme on the compression ratio, no? That is the equivalent of making one kit into 4 gallons (whereas many people make one kit into 5 gallons). Seems extreme to me!

That seems a little extreme on the compression ratio, no? That is the equivalent of making one kit into 4 gallons (whereas many people make one kit into 5 gallons). Seems extreme to me!

I almost said the same thing, but if I remember correctly, even after making the fontana kits to 5 gallons I still added sugar to get to 1.090.

I have thought about using a supplier, with the initials L.P., they have a Winery Series kit that makes I believe 24 gallons. It also sounds like a Mist type kit, ripe for tweaking. But, I'm pretty sure I don't really want 24 gallons of the same base wine like a Blackberry Merlot.

Think I like your idea better....at least I would have 2,3, or ever 4 base varietals too.

I have thought about using a supplier, with the initials L.P., they have a Winery Series kit that makes I believe 24 gallons. It also sounds like a Mist type kit, ripe for tweaking. But, I'm pretty sure I don't really want 24 gallons of the same base wine like a Blackberry Merlot.

Think I like your idea better....at least I would have 2,3, or ever 4 base varietals too.
You loosed to be creative in a lot of tastes
Rose,a White Melo, different regions married...who nose the offspring?

It not a bad idea think of the combinations you can come up with, same theory as a winery would do.
Think outside the box.
Thats what I do JOE.... In Canada at Costco we can have double kits(60 bottles) delivered on line for $99.00 the options are the standard big 5 juices. I do like what you do and go for 5 gallons as opposed to 6 and then just watch my hydrometer.

One question some kits have a person racking the primary (after day 10) and others just rack after day 20ish or when you hit 0.990......what do you suggest?
Is a secondary needed? and then wait the 2 weeks before clearing?

Where are you guys finding these cheap kits. I have been on amazon and only found a handful of fontana and wild grape kits. I did make a couple of the vintners reserve weekday wine kits and I reduced them to 5.5 gallons. they came out great for a basic sitting on the deck wine. But I am intrigued.
Check costco online.....costco is the biggest seller of wine on the planet

Has anyone gone through this thread and summarized things in notes? There's a lot here to preserve.

I'd like a couple pages of reference to refer to - maybe more pages with pics.

Has anyone gone through this thread and summarized things in notes? There's a lot here to preserve.

I'd like a couple pages of reference to refer to - maybe more pages with pics.

Well, it's going to take a while, so you better get working on that summary!

i have found 3 gallon water jugs at walmart..i use the 5 gallon water jugs to make wine. I am going to get two Fontana kits..Shiraz and Melbec or Pinot Noir...or just Shirah. THEN I AM GOING TO MAKE 8 GALLONS OUT OF 2 KITS NO SUGAR ADDS...JUST THE NORMALS. MAY I ASK YOU GUYS YOUR FAVORITE RED WINE KITS FROM THE $41 TO $45 KITS?

I always follow my hydrometer,never really on so many days.
You can always finish what ever islet to gas off in the secondary process, there's no rush.

Last edited:
Ok Joe read this whole thread, decided to really try and screw up a $40 Wild Grapes Cab Sav. In the primary went 1 cup of raisins AND 1 cup currants. 1 Tablespoon tannin, 4 oz oak chips, 60g oak powder. I'll ferment it dry then add 4 more oz of oak chips in secondary and 1 more Tablespoon and tannin. Last racking some oak cubes. Why not?

Latest posts

Back