Packlab What's my next step with Pinot Noir?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aryoung1980

Reaction score
I'm on day 23 and my wine has had a stable FG of 0.996 for 8 days. My kit's instructions say that I need to degas, add kieselsol, add chitosan, add stabilizer, and clear for 10 days.

I want to bulk age my wine for a solid 6+ months before bottling. I also have the wine currently sitting on a pound of raisins. I will be racking the wine off of the raisins in 5 days.

Should I add all of the clarifiers and stabilizer the day I rack? Should I let it sit as is? Should I purchase Campden tablets and use those? What about K-meta?

Hopefully someone can help a new vintner out with their sage advice. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I would not recommend using raisins... Perhaps some dried Pinot Noir skins but I would avoid raisins. Once you rack I would consider undergoing MLF to ensure it does not happen in the bottle when you do not want it to. It is important to do this prior to adding sulfites since must MLB strains are vulnerable to sulfites.

I would then apply sulfites (kmeta and campden are the same thing I prefer k-meta since it comes as a powder) to avoid oxidation and infection. After letting it bulk age for around a year I would then consider chitosan and fining along with all that other good stuff.

I would not recommend using raisins...

Once you rack I would consider undergoing MLF to ensure it does not happen in the bottle

I would then apply sulfites (kmeta and campden are the same thing I prefer k-meta since it comes as a powder) to avoid oxidation and infection. After letting it bulk age for around a year I would then consider chitosan and fining along with all that other good stuff.

First, the raisins were added to secondary fermentation already. Sorry if that was unclear. I'm drinking the hydrometer sample from tonight and I like where it's headed.

Next, I don't fully understand MLF yet. I need to do some more reading up on it.

Lastly, thanks for the info. I had a feeling those clarifiers and "stabilizer" wouldn't be needed right away for bulk aging.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back