Packlab Cornucopia....help with SG readings when boosting alcohol level

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambiying

Reaction score
I'm about to start a batch of Cornucopia Tropical Riesling. I'm going to add 4 or 5 lbs of sugar at the start to boost the alcohol level. If I do this, about what specific gravity would I be looking to achieve, because I know it would throw off what the directions read.

Directions say on day 1, SG should between 1.055 and 1.065.
Then secondary ferm should be btw 1.020 and 1.000
Then degassing and clearing should be .998 and .990

What should the numbers be if I add 5 lbs of sugar?

I just started 2 of those kits yesterday. 5 pounds of sugar had one at 1.082 and the other at 1.080. We loved the Red Zif so much I started another one a month later. Did the coconut one yesterday too. I have done about 8 of this type of kits. By bringing up the SG and adding all of the f-pack they are not so sweet.

Sammy, did you move to secondary fermentation yet? I just started the Riesling today with 5 lbs of sugar at the start, and my SG was 1.090. I'm curious to see what yours is at secondary so I know I'm on the right track.

I generally move them when they are 1.010 to 1.020. The one was at 1.000 and the other was at 1.010. I just could not get to them yesterday. Started Green Apple and a Strawberry Merlot tonight that our daughter bought. She loves them and keeps buying more for me to make.

Adding some sugar to this kit will only affect the starting sg. The other numbers should not change. IE follow the instructions and rack to secondary when the sg is 1.000 to 1.010 (I prefer to rack at 1.005 or lower), and the final sg prior to stabilizing, sweetening, and clearing should be below .998.

Steve

Back