WineXpert sorry posted in wrong forum reposted in correct forum

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkfelpel

Junior
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone can help me with making my first wine kit ever, i have followd the direction waited my time i was getting ready to bottle my wine today. i took some wine out with my theif but it in a glass and check to make sure it was clear and it was. so after a month or so i am going to try my wine that i made and to be honesti am a liitle dissappointed because it taste a little carbonated and i dont no why. can anyone tell me why and what i should do next? do i just continue to bottle? to i add a chemical that take the carbonation out? or just leave it in the carboy for a little longer.

the kit was from winexpert vinter's reserve cabernet sauvignon the flavor was not bad just a little carbonated with no legs. please help :confused:

Last edited:
You had it the wrong forum even after you re-posted :p I moved it to the right spot for you. :h

Anyway, it sounds like you still have trapped CO2 in the wine. Did you De-Gas? If so, did you stabilize first with the Sorbate and K-Meta? You need to do this first. Then De-Gas

I agree with above post and must ask that if you did degas what did you use. A spoon will not do that great of a job, a drill mounted mix stir attachment is the way to go. As far as no legs go, the smaller low end kits dont have much body or mouthfeel though. The bigger higher end kits do.

Thank you from moving my post into the correct spot. :r

i did de-gas after stabilizing i left the wine in the carboy and stirred with a drill mounted stirrer for about 20 minutes everyday for about a week. i did notice some difference, but now that the wine is bottled i can taste a hint of it but not see it. the wine still is a little weak and not a full flavor after being just 3 weeks bottled is that just the kit? or should i let it age a little more in the bottle before i drink them? (which by the way is not going to be easy)

Thanks again for the help

wine kit in case i forgot to mention it was vinters reserve cabernet sauvignon :b

That stirring isn't required for that kit. Maybe 2-5 minutes after stabilizing. Your wine is just getting over bottle shock and will taste better with age. I am sorry to inform but it probably will always be on the weak side in terms of body and mouthfeel. I find the VR white kits to be fine but most of the reds are on the weak and thin side.

I agree that these smaller kits almost always lack in body and mouthfeel and usually abv also with wines that are usually higher like a Cab. If you degassed that much I cant see still having gas in your wine. I use high speed and quick bursts till the wine just starts to get moving in one direction then reverse and do the same, is this what you do or do you use low speed?

i as well use a quick burst with the drill as soon as i saw the wine about to make a vortex i would shift directions with the drill and keep doing that back and forth for aabout 20 minutes.

thanks you for telling me about the vr wine kits, this being my first kit i did not know if it was me that messed up or this is just the way the kit is. what kind of kit do you recommened foe a beginner with a little more flavor or bite in the reds. i live in massachusetes but am alright with ordering kit from online

If you bought at a local shop, look at the WE Selection kits, most of them are pretty good. The Estate Series kits are better and the Crushendo kits are very good. Basically, the bigger the kit, the less water you have to add and the more solids you will have in the wine leading to more body and mouthfeel. I make the 23 liter Mosti All Juice kits.

Every manufacturer makes great kits when you bet above the entry line kits. Even many of those entry kits are good as well. You just happened to choose the one that no one ever seems to be pleased with. Like I said, I made the same choice when I was new in this as well. Many have made it though and liked it.

I will say that I.M.O. most of the other brands are better for producing a red wine without that K.T. (Kit Taste) which is a sweet candy like taste which does go way with time but can take some amount of time to do so. I am very happy with the RJS grape skin kits but have heard nothing ut great things about Cellar Craft kits also.

On those VR kits that are "thin". Next time add some Glycerin (to taste) before bottling.

please excuse my ignorance but could you explain waht glycerin is and what it does to to the wine and would i have to add it after stabilzing , and Wade what does I.M.O mean

Thanks for the recommendations on the kits this site rocks!

In My Opinon Sorry for the lingo.

Copied from a wine site retailor
"ABOUT THIS PRODUCT: (FLV310) Use Glycerine in your wine to give it more body. Glycerine increases the wine`s mouth-feel giving it a fuller, more pleasant texture. Glycerine also smoothes over some of the harsh characteristics that are prevalent in most younger wines. Glycerine is a natural by-product of fermentation. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous syrup that has little noticeable flavor except for a slight sweetness. That makes it perfect for taking any wine and turning it into a big, macho red. Glycerine can also be used in cordials to enhance their body.

DIRECTIONS: Before adding Glycerine, the wine should be clear and moved off of any sediment into a clean container and ready to bottle. Add the Glycerine directly to the wine. It is important that the wine be stirred thoroughly to evenly disperse the Glycerine."

:ot:Thanks wade it has been a long day i was trying to think of any wine connection for those 3 letters and it was the most obvious one that i know that i just couldn't see it made me laugh :)

Wade,
Thanks for clearing it up!
If you are a novice then it may not matter. Once you have a few batches under your belt is when to refine some of your methods. This is why we are here. Please ask questions as we live for them LOL !:d

Latest posts

Back