CGI from SE Ontario

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGI

Reaction score
Hello everyone -

I am a 40yr old Manufacturing Plant Manager. I have a wife and 3 kids ranging from 12 to 15. In addition to wine making, I am a huge Ultra Mobile PC fan. Anyone looking for a small PC and/or tablet I'm good for advice.

I have taken up wine-making following the lead of my father in law. He makes fruity wines and generally lower end stuff, but they are not bad and he follows good practices... I have been making dry reds and tend to stay at the higher end side so that I can't fault the ingredients with my results. I have made +10 batches, all with success and I'm learning more each time. Its a lot of fun and just as fun to share the "product".

I look forward to participating here and learning from the combined experience of members.

Cheers!

Welcome CGI, are you making kits or fresh juice buckets? Glad to have you aboard.

Fantastic and welcome aboard. Look forward to reading your posts. :)

Welcome!
Tell us, anything fermenting or on radar to make?

Wade -

Exclusively kits. I have low confidence to spread my wings at this point, but I am expecting this forum will get me there.

Tom -

Yes! I have a KenRidge Founder's Series; Chile - Tres Tinto a couple weeks away from bottling. Just bottled a Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre from the same series which I'm drying to try... It was quite a surprise even on bottling day.

My cellar has recent completions; Australian Shiraz and Italian Amarone from the KenRidge Showcase series. Both are particularly nice having aged near 6 months. Although the inventory is getting low as we try hard, sometimes unsuccessfully, to let the inventory sit!

I have 6 glass carboys, but haven't tried getting multiple batches going simultaneously yet.

I am looking forward to learning how to introduce new things. I think I am one of those careful types who follows all the rules to ensure my success. Therefore, if I don't know the impact, I don't try it!

Thank you for the welcomes!

Gee CGI, I've got 6 glass carboys too. Only one hasn't been used recently. At the moment three are full, one was emptied yesterday (bottled a beer), and there is one in primary at the moment. Plus four kits in my cold room to be started. Will probably get one or two of the three in carboy filtered & bottled this week. Then I'll start a couple more.

One way to get inventory to sit for a while is to make more wine. You can let it sit in the carboy an extra couple of months. Especially the Showcase and Founders Series kits.

You might want to read the following article...
http://winemakermag.com/blogs/Making-Your-Kit-Wine-Shine-Redeaux.html

Steve

Hiya CGI

wait til you start digging out the foundations of your house to cellar it all..

My husband is already beginning to worry, I have containers all over the house bubbling away with weird and wonderful concoctions in them

Allie hehehe..

Does you husband HELP you make wine? My wife helps me DRINK it only. LOL

Hi CG, you'll find some great info in here, not just on your kits but when you are ready to "spread your wings" you will find some great advicein here on fruit wines. Wade recently posted some great recipes to get you interested and give you some ideas. There are quite a few members in here who make fruit wines, Allie and Luc are just two of them. Feel free to ask anything. This is a great group here and everyone is eager to pass along and to learn new things.
Troy
:) PS I speak pretty good computer myself and sometimes I fix them, see my photos in the album section.

Last edited:
Hi CG, you'll find some great info in here, not just on your kits but when you are ready to "spread your wings" you will find some great advicein here on fruit wines. Wade recently posted some great recipes to get you interested and give you some ideas. There are quite a few members in here who make fruit wines, Allie and Luc are just two of them. Feel free to ask anything. This is a great group here and everyone is eager to pass along and to learn new things.
Troy
:) PS I speak pretty good computer myself and sometimes I fix them, see my photos in the album section.

Just saw your Computer Repair Tutorial. Absolutely Fantastic! Just how I fix them to. We must of went to the same "Tech School" :D

Well Smurfe, sometimes you gotta do the best you can with what you got! Apparently, I had more than the computer. You should have seen it try to jump up and run away after I hit it with the first barrel. Too bad other problems can't be solved as easily. I liked that computer, than it decided to do it's own thing. Who do you think won that argument? I made my other computers watch that lesson, and ironically enough I haven't had any problems with either of them since. My cats? They al ready know better than to ask more than they need to know.:c
Troy

To everyone -

Thank you for the great welcome!

I started another kit today; an Italian Brunello. So, for the first time I have 2 batches on the go.

This will continue as I purchased a German Riesling (my first white) to begin next weekend. Yahoo!

Gee CGI, I've got 6 glass carboys too. Only one hasn't been used recently. At the moment three are full, one was emptied yesterday (bottled a beer), and there is one in primary at the moment. Plus four kits in my cold room to be started. Will probably get one or two of the three in carboy filtered & bottled this week. Then I'll start a couple more.

One way to get inventory to sit for a while is to make more wine. You can let it sit in the carboy an extra couple of months. Especially the Showcase and Founders Series kits.

You might want to read the following article...

Steve

EXCELLENT read, thank you Steve!

Latest posts

Back