Suggestions for storing tubing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A corkidor should be used to sanitize things without getting them wet. It should be used for minutes or hours, but never for long term storage. One of the members of another forum was storing corks long term in a sealed bucket with an open container of k-meta solution and they molded. I think the solution gives off the SO2 gas over a relatively short period of time, minutes or a few hours, and then it's just a humid, sealed place for stuff to mold. Secondly, any metal fittings should either not be exposed to k-meta or should be rinsed off immediately because it is highly corrosive. So, use a corkidor to sanitize corks without getting them wet while you're bottling, for 15 minutes to a couple of hours, but not for days, weeks, or months.
I spray k-meta sanitizing solution on the sides and bottom of a bucket, put my corks to be used that day in a collander, and put the collander in the bucket and put the lid on the bucket. Keep the lid on for 15 minutes and it has done it's job.

That is not the description of a corkidor that I have seen. Nor is it consistent with it's humidor origins (where the idea is long term storage of cigars).
My understanding of a corkidor is that the corks are stored in a sealed environment where all humidity is in KMeta. This should prevent them from drying out over a long period of time (weeks-months) and prevent mold and bacterial growth.

Totally agree about not storing metal in there though.

Latest posts

Back