Help me understand.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coyote Creek

Junior
Reaction score
what Malolactic Fermentation is? The more I read about it it's getting way more technical than where I am at in my wine making experience. After you have fermented to dry say 0.999 is it something that takes place after the initial fermentation? Is it something you can see? Everything I pulled up on google was trying to take me back to chemisty in college with all the chemical brakedowns.

What got me to really reading about it was someone on here had posted about sweetening a red wine. They asked something about adding K Sorbate before backsweetening but worried that their wine may be in Malo and what it would cause to the wine. This got me to thinking about my Blackberry that is ready to be backsweetened as it is at .990 and I am ready to sorbate it.

Thanks for any help explaining,

CC

you would be converting malic acid to lactic acid during mlf.....lactic is much smoother ( think milk's acid versus that of a sour apple)

i let my wines go thru a natural occuring mlf...west coasters often do as ....i had a tank outside the other day and noted it was tilting...sure enough popped the lid it was going thru mlf because i had let it stay outside after fermentation

sweetening wines is a whole other subject....the person you were referencing probably was reply to another person and a particular situation they were experienceing...do onot confuse the two....just do some quick googling or wait a few minutes here and you will be on your way when more answers come in

Latest posts

Back