Hello from Montreal, Canada

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From a fellow Canuck, welcome to the forum Daniel. I really enjoy the articles you write for Winemaker and look forward to your contributions here.

Welcome aboard Daniel. I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I. Pleasant people discussing a pleasant subject in a pleasant way. What could be better?
smiley1.gif

admiral said:
Welcome aboard Daniel. I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I. Pleasant people discussing a pleasant subject in a pleasant way. What could be better?
smiley1.gif
The only way that I can think of to improve on it is if the computer would dispense wine when you logged into the site!
smiley36.gif

Daniel, welcome to the forum! It's nice to meet the autor of one of our wine books.
smiley32.gif

joeswine said:
Welcome Daniel,,good to have you on board,,,OK,,first question did a Vidal Ice wine juice last September in the finding stage what the best agent other than time to use ,,no sense letting your talents go to waste..............
smiley36.gif
( came from Ontario Canada)

Sorry. I didn't understand your question.

Daniel I believe Joe is asking what is the best thing other than time to use to clear his Icewine. He bought some juice last fall for Icewine from Ontario.

appleman said:
Daniel I believe Joe is asking what is the best thing other than time to use to clear his Icewine. He bought some juice last fall for Icewine from Ontario.

Ah! Ok. Easy. A kieselsol.chitosan or bentonite treatment should do it.

Daniel, have you ever tried the egg whites for fining? I have not and am just curious as to your thinking on that whole process.

Yes, of course, and I absolutely recommend it for full-bodied, tannic reds. It is a traditional method of fining reds in Bordeaux and other Old World winemaking regions. Egg whites are great for softening astringency and they act quickly. Just don't forget to separate out the yolk
smiley1.gif
(use it tomake zabaglione, and pour in some marsala if you're up to it)

wade i have used egg whites my self they do work how ever,ill try them in this winei did the supper kleer but no real help basements around 62 to 64 degrees,,the wine itself is pale yellow in color,14%abv and 24brix ,citrus in flavor actually great all the way around...need to clear it ...the fight goes on......

joeswine,

Is this your Ice Wine you are talking about?
smiley25.gif

Daniel,

How long do you age Ice Wine in a carboy before bottling?

Both Joeswine and myself were able to get 5 gallons of Ice Wine Juice from Ontario last year.

Joe, how long did you let the SuperKleer work for, my Ice wine really took much longer then any other wine to clear also but it did and crystal.

Joeswine,

My Ice wine is clear and I may use a coarse mini-jet filter to maximize the quanity. Seams as there is alot of "stuff" on the bottom.

Yes I kept it in my cellar @ high 50's.
Waiting on seeing what Daniel says on aging this.

wade i liken this wine to the Niagara I'm sending you took forever to clear...used every thing known and at the end it cleared but it took time..............this ice wine is not like the kit wine i helped make one of those 14types,,,,,,,,this is as close as i could get to achieving a true ice wine out of my basement...daniel I,am i close to the ending figures..for this product???????????????14abv//////24 brix....started at 35 brix

tepe said:
Daniel,

How long do you age Ice Wine in a carboy before bottling?

Both Joeswine and myself were able to get 5 gallons of Ice Wine Juice from Ontario last year.

Commercial wineries tend to release their Icewines a year or two after the vintage, and so, to answer your question, you're looking at 6-18 months of aging after fermentation. Now keep in mind that commercial wineries have financial incentives to release Icewine into the market ASAP. In my opinion, that's too quick. I like to age my Icewine. For those who are patient, you will be greatly rewarded. At Maleta Winery, we age our Icewine in oak barrels. We aged one in American oak for 3 years!! Was it worth it? The wine was simply amazing. It not only won GOLD in its category in a major competition in 2007 but it also outscored every other wine winning WINE OF THE YEAR award. I cannot begin to explain the complexities of an aged Icewine. It's a shame that the wine is drunk before its peak. And BTW, I made an ice wine at home using a fairly unorthodox method (juice cryoextraction), which I describe in my book - my only mistake was that I didn't make more. I have a single half-bottle left in my cellar. I tried the last bottle about 1 year ago. It was simply amazing, and it tasted as if it was made just a year ago. What vintage was it? 1994!!

then I'll wait on nature to take its course,but what about my numbers daniel are they on target or at least close??????????

Latest posts

Back