WineXpert An "oldie" with a "newbie" concern?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently received a WinExpert kit from someone which was a little older (the kit, not the person). They had no interest in winemaking and had received as a gift.

The code: Valpolicella 0827104 0066

So, it wasabout 1.75 years old when I started it. (May 24 was the start date)

I followed the directions, and it was racked again today. I tasted it, and I taste the chitosan out of it - totally. It's yucky and I am ready to dump it, since it didn't cost me anything. Any suggestions? Am I jumping the gun? Should I wait it out and see if it gets better with age?

Thanks,

Martina

I think I would give it a bit Martina...May be wasting your time but you never know. 6 months may do it wonders

MedPretzel said:
I followed the directions, and it was racked again today. I tasted it, and I taste the chitosan out of it - totally. It's yucky and I am ready to dump it, since it didn't cost me anything. Any suggestions? Am I jumping the gun? Should I wait it out and see if it gets better with age?

Thanks,

Martina

Not sure what you mean by you "taste the chitosan out of it" ? I am sure the storage conditions of a kit this old will certainly play a big role in how good it will be.

The Chitosan packets can be the first to go bad in an old kit, so that could definitely be a problem.

Masta is correct in that the storage of the kit is the major concern. If a kit is stored properly, it should last for 18-24 months. I have made some almost 2 years old without any problems.

I would give it a little more time, though, before I tossed it out.

Thanks everyone for the input. I will give it time, and see what happens.

I doubt it was stored "correctly" as this person who gave it to me was totally un-interested in winemaking and wine. It probably was in the kitchen under the sink somewhere, knowing her.

I will definitely keep you posted on this one.

Thanks again!

M.

Uh, oh!

I see it now: Time to experiment!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back