A Newbies First Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it done CB...Now why didin't I think of that. Two bottles huh..Youradvice is notcheapis it? hehehehe

ok, I just finished my wine making closet. I cleaned out a linen closet in my laundry room and converted it for my wine making. I added shelves and a counter top. I even installed an old thermostat to give me the temp in the closet. It reads about 80 degrees right now. Perfect for fermentation, right??

Uh...yes and no. It is a little on the warm side, just my opinion. Where do you live? If that closet isn't cooled, is it heated in the winter?

Im in NE AZ..Up about 7000ft. No A/C, No central anything. Just ceiling fans and windows. For coolness, I can open windows and put in a fan. For heat, I have a space heater. Also, the closet doesnt have a door.

well waldo, two things my advice is not... Good, and cheap!!!

Michael, keeping the above in mind, i'll comment anyway.... do you plan on storing wine in there over next summer?? if its 80 degrees now, it will probably cool down soon, so maybe you can get by now, or wait a couple weeks... but if you plan on storing wine in there over the summer months, it might push above 80 degrees and then you're in trouble... 80 is not good for storing/aging anyway... if you are, you might want to look into a portable AC ubit or some kind of refridgeration unit for the closet (would need doors).... there is a great book on winecellars at Barnes&Nobles in the wine&spirits section that might help give you some ideas

Latest pictures of my Blackberry and Peach Wine !!!
2005-08-26_024350_blackberry_in_carboy.jpg

2005-08-26_024448_peach_in_carboy.jpg

that sliding your hands up and down the carboy seems to really work, Waldo!

They look great!

Well, Julie sent me a message, but, by the time I logged in and could write, I lost it in the shuffle. Just wanted to say, "Thanks, Julie." I'll be back when I have more time.

I have an entire second floor, and a full basement, where I could be making and fermenting wine, since my kids are gone.

Maerzie

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back