Sanitizing and Sterilizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you rinse with water after sanitizing haven't you risk contamination?

I agree -
I never rinse as we had many discussions about this very thing.

I also have well water - where there is no chlorine in the water to protect it.

With One-Step / Oxiclean. You should definitely rinse afterwards. Not to mention, if you use Oxiclean, make sure you get "Oxiclean Free". It lacks the perfumes and dyes. Both of which can taint the flavors of your wine.

As for don't rinse after "cleaning" because water can ruin it. That doesn't make sense to me you should always sanitize after washing as a standard practice. (rinse, then sanitize. All good!) It's far more important to keep chemicals out of the wine that shouldn't be there. Oxiclean and One-Step are made up of Sodium Percarbonate (baking soda) and Sodium Carbonate. (washing soda) They form oxygen, hydrogen peroxide and soda ash when mixed with water. I don't want (and you shouldn't either!) hydrogen peroxide in my wine.

As for water, I use standard bottled water or bottled spring water. At 88 cents a gallon, it's an easy call.

Last edited:
Hydrogen peroxide will oxidize your wine, or at the very least, consume a portion of the free sulfite.

I did google both of these products - One-Step / Oxiclean and they both mention that they are a cleaner rather than a sanitizer.

I will use potassium metabisulfite

1 1/2 tsp sulfite + 1 1/2 citric acid or any other form of acid for 1 gallon of water to make up a sanitizing solution.

isn't sanitizer and cleaner synonyms?

Not necessarily, but they can be one product.

For instance, my personal preference is to use B-Brite for my cleaning chores, it does a great job removing stains and film on wine accessories, or whatever you need to clean after use. Once the item is cleaned, the cleanser is thoroughly washed off. That item is now clean, but not sanitized.

For sanitizing, my choice is potassium metabisulfie. It's mixed in a gallon jug at the rate of 3TBS / gallon and stored sealed when not in use, also in a a little spray bottle. Before using a clean item, it's either spritzed with the spray bottle before use, or in the case of a vessel, the solution is dumped in and swirled around to contact all parts of the vessel. After a short sit, the item is sanitized.

Some folks use One Step cleaner, which also has some sanitizing properties, killing two birds with one stone.

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

Latest posts

Back