I hate my thermometers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ya never know know where the next 100 page post will will come from.
smilie.gif

Ive never been too concerned with temperature either. But I started a primary in the winter for the first time in my unheated basement. And it's cold out
While troubleshooting I ended up using a large container filled with water with an aquarium heater and my primaries (2 of em. A 6 gal and 1 gal) inside that container.
And I was just trying to maintain somewhat of a steady temp and keep it from dropping too low. That's all.
Meant as a quick question

We don't do quick questions when there is a perfectly good dead horse we can beat on right here! :h

If you couple that aquarium heater with an Inkbird controller....you may be able to hold your temps within a degree or two where you want them to be. Of course then we would have to verify that temp with at least 5 other thermometers of dubious character....it's a death spiral!

Last edited:
We don't do quick questions when there is a perfectly good dead horse we can beat on right here! :h

If you couple that aquarium heater with an Inkbird controller....you may be able to hold your temps within a degree or two where you want them to be. Of course then we would have to verify that temp with at least 5 other thermometers of dubious character....it's a death spiral!

And then we'd verify the thermometers with two points, boiling and freezing water, where we would then measure the atmospheric pressure with eight different manometers:sl

Ok So just so I am clear on this, the quick answer was:
1- Thermometers/temp doesn't matter enough to worry about it. Therefore:
2- there's no "wrong" thermometer to use
3- that thermometer is wrong. Check out how awesome mine is.

I think I pretty much got it. Forum's always a lifesaver.
Day 6 and I'm at both of my target SG's yet I'm excited to measure eyeball temperature

I use an inexpensive (digital) meat thermometer. It will slip into the top of a carboy and not fall in. The only time I use it really these days is for rehydrating yeast, other than that I use it more in the kitchen or BBQ to check meat temps. Also have one of the IR Guns. Have found them to be spot on when I have checked during fermentation as compared to the meat thermometer. I realize they read surface temps but they work close enough for my needs.

barbecue-cooking-thermometer-best-pocket-size-digital-thermometer-for-cooking-meat-barbecue-food-liquids-accurate-quick_7715968.jpeg

Ok So just so I am clear on this, the quick answer was:
1- Thermometers/temp doesn't matter enough to worry about it. Therefore:
2- there's no "wrong" thermometer to use
3- that thermometer is wrong. Check out how awesome mine is.

I think I pretty much got it. Forum's always a lifesaver.
Day 6 and I'm at both of my target SG's yet I'm excited to measure eyeball temperature

Ouch! That hurt.

That's the communication problem that tends to happen. Impossible to know my tone. Maybe I should have added
"hahaha j/k. But seriously I received some great advice as always. And will have my new IR thermometer delivered tomorrow because of said advice. Thanks"

That's the communication problem that tends to happen. Impossible to know my tone. Maybe I should have added
"hahaha j/k. But seriously I received some great advice as always. And will have my new IR thermometer delivered tomorrow because of said advice. Thanks"

I understand now. Thanks for coming back at me. I agree that without knowing the tone what's written can easily be misunderstood.

What the hell was THAT supposed to mean? Were you directing that at me??

:)

Paul, nothing I posted was directed at you. I was in effect thanking member
Ajmassa5983 for straightening me out on a post of his that I misunderstood.

Edited: Crap! You got me! I just now saw your smiley. I was even finding myself miffed and was trying to understand how you got 2 Likes for your post. I think I might need to switch from decaf to caffeinated coffee in the mornings.
smilie.gif

Last edited:
Paul, nothing I posted was directed at you. I was in effect thanking member
Ajmassa5983 for straightening me out on a post of his that I misunderstood.

Edited: Crap! You got me! I just now saw your smiley. I was even finding myself miffed and was trying to understand how you got 2 Likes for your post. I think I might need to switch from decaf to caffeinated coffee in the mornings.
smilie.gif

Sorry about that, Bill! I thought it would be obvious enough when I posted it that I was not at all serious. To tell you the truth, I was a little worried about it when I read it this morning, i.e., whether my post could actually come off the wrong way! Didn't mean to actually fool you!

Sorry about that, Bill! I thought it would be obvious enough when I posted it that I was not at all serious. To tell you the truth, I was a little worried about it when I read it this morning, i.e., whether my post could actually come off the wrong way! Didn't mean to actually fool you!

Understood. Absolutely no problem. I should have noticed the smiley at first. Things like this help keep me from thinking to highly of myself. :slp

Last edited:
Bkisel, you confused me there too. I thought either
A. Your misreading posts
Or
B. You are a comedic genius!

How do you see "likes" on posts? I use the app and haven't seen them or even how to "like" ?

I use a desk top or lap top PC. The "Like" shows up on the very bottom of the post just before the separation bar for the next post. Just click "Like This Post" to give a "Like". Haven't yet tried the phone app.

Post.PNG

Last edited:
Bkisel, you confused me there too. I thought either
A. Your misreading posts
Or
B. You are a comedic genius!

How do you see "likes" on posts? I use the app and haven't seen them or even how to "like" ?

You aren't able to see like or to like posts with the app. You don't even get any notice that someone liked one of your posts. It is one of the drawbacks to the app.

Latest posts

Back