Measuring pH and Acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hzcvj8

Rookie Member
Reaction score
I'm new to wine making. I've done some apple and wine from kits. I have 50 vines going into their 2nd year so I'm getting interested in wine from grapes. I have a refractometer, what do you suggest for measuring pH and Acid?

You have options available for both, but it would seem reasonable, since you are embarking on winemaking from grapes, that you would consider investing in an instrument that does both, and perhaps even SO2. This would allow you to regularly test Brix with your refractometer as well as pH and TA of your grapes as they progress through the stages of ripeness on the vine, as well as when you are actually making and adjusting your wine.

There are a few manufacturers out there that make these instruments, I can't tell you anything about any of them other than the one that I happen to have, which is the Vinmetrica SC-300, which does pH, TA and SO2 measurements. I like it just fine and am happy with it.

I'm sure they all operate similarly, pH is pretty straight forward, stick the probe in and measure pH. For the TA and SO2, you perform titrations, which at first seem a little daunting, but once you do it a few times it's a piece of cake.

There are also less expensive options, SO2 and TA titration kits that you can use instead of the digital equipment. Personally, I believe that a good quality digital pH meter is a must.........

Latest posts

Back