WineXpert Eclipse Nebiollo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhaynes

Reaction score
Just racked several eclipse kits in preparation for bottling including a 15 month old Nebiollo, a 15 month old Shiraz and a 12 month old Pinot. I was very surprised by how harsh the Nebiollo was when we sampled it. Did not tweak the kit in any way other than leaving out the sorbate and bulk aging. There are no visual defects or off odors but it taste like wine that finished fermenting last week not one that has been bulk aging for 14 months. More like rocket fuel than a fine wine.

I know others have made this kit. Did you have this same harshness at this point? If so how long did it take it to smooth out? The Shiraz which was started on the same day as the Nebiollo is smoothing out nicely as is the Pinot that was started 3 months later. I'm really concerned about the future prospects for this wine. I'm hoping some of you who have experience with this kit can offer some encouragement.

I do not know quite what to say.

I have two batches of this Nebbiolo made by the book and the instructions were followed. It was very astringent after one year in a small taste test but was then left alone. The oldest is now 21 months and is very drinkable though likely still improving.

It is not of course up to the standards of a real commercial Barolo but those Italian imports are not generally found in the bargain bins at the local wine or liquor store. And the commercial Barolos all require significant aging - 5 years is just a mere beginning.

Doug Matheson
Manotick ON

Nebbiolo is one of the most high tannin grapes on the planet. Without an absolute butt load of oak, it takes years and years of aging to become even remotely pleasurable to drink. Go buy a young bottle of Barolo that isn't aged in new oak and you will see what I mean.

May want to barrel age that Nebbiolo. I'd definitely continue bulking it for another year at least, before you bottle age it for awhile. Interesting comments on the Shiraz though. I racked my Eclipse Shiraz yesterday after it had been bulk aging just over a year, which included three months in a barrel. I think it's going to be great.

Thanks for the feedback. It is encouraging to know that the harshness is to be expected at this point. Makes me feel a lot better. Unfortunately I don't have a barrel but I do have some oak spirals. Would it be a good idea to add some oak or should I just let it sit?

We made the Nebbiolo & Shiraz kits almost 2 yrs ago. Both bottled after a year ish in carboys. The Shiraz was very good at 18 months. The Nebbilo still a little rough. Over the weekend we popped the cork on the now 2 yr old Neb & what a difference, smoothed out nicely, & we said "how does wine change in the bottle". The Neb did have a lot of oak added to it, chips early then spirals in later months. This was before we hab a barrel. Roy

Latest posts

Back