What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uhudler, 25# of Swenson Red, 25# or 30# of Frontenac another 60# of Golden Muscat all full cluster left on the skins for a week. BM 4x4 and that 212 yeast (I think). Yep left the colonies seperate on the fruit for the first 24 hours then stirred ‘em in and let ‘em battle no, no campden. Not great record keeping but scrupulous picking and sanitation. Not for everybody but pretty good squeezin’s. If somebody has a concrete reason for not leaving Swenson on the skins I wish they would share it. The grape tasted like strawberry jam when picked. The wine does too with a bit of Labrusca funk. Pretty hard to drink store bought with juice like this though. Oh and good pillancillo sugar to bring it to 12%. I have made things I liked more but not many. I hope everyone is enjoying life. The flavor is all Swenson but the chemistry would be whack without Frontenac. Here in Utah you have to pick the Golden early or the PH gets so high it isn’t worth the bother. Good table grape late though.

Uhudler, 25# of Swenson Red, 25# or 30# of Frontenac another 60# of Golden Muscat
That's an interesting mix -- the only grape I was familiar with is Frontenac, but until I looked it up I didn't know it came from Minnesota. [truthfully, I didn't know the U of Minnesota had a grape research facility] I'm surprised the Swenson Red dominates the flavors, as it's only 20% of the mix.

The Costco run was a good one. Lots of amazing summer wines including some new ones from Daou. They had 3 levels of Daou Cab Sauv. The entry level ($25) a mid range ($45 and the Reserve ($99). Have plenty of Cab Sauv in the Cellar so none of those jumped into the cart. They also had the Austin Hope (Paso Robles) Cab Sauv for $45 which is my Club price!

The Daou Rose was $18, The Daou Sauv Blanc was $14. The KS Rose' was $8.69 and the KS NZ Sauv Blanc was a whopping $6.99.......

1625834466400.jpeg

Last edited:
The Costco run was a good one. Lots of amazing summer wines including some new ones from Daou. They had 3 levels of Daou Cab Sauv. The entry level ($25) a mid range ($45 and the Reserve ($99). Have plenty of Cab Sauv in the Cellar so none of those jumped into the cart. The also had the Austin Hope (Paso Robles) Cab Sauv for $45 which is my Club price!

The Daou Rose was $18, The Daou Sauv Blanc was $14. The KS Rose' was $8.69 and the KS NZ Sauv Blanc was a whopping $6.99.......

View attachment 76314

Their Kirkland SV kicks a$$ at such a low price, very good wine in my book.

An inexpensive yet good Cab from Aldi's, not the first time I tried this one.

The decanter is something I picked up at a yard sale right after I graduated from college, as it struck my fancy. The finish was marred when I purchased it for $1, but it has served well since then.

Quarter Cut 01.jpg

From last night. Had some BFF's over for a Summer get together before its gone. Been collecting these for a few years now. 2013 La Rata which is a side project from the assistant winemaker at Cayuse. ~60% Grenache, 30% Cab Sauv, 10% Syrah and loaded with rocks funk. Gave this a 3 hour decant and it was worth the wait and the price of admission. Lots of herbs, rocks funk, strawberry, white pepper, and smoked meats.....

1626126774041.png

1626126801274.png

From last night. Had some BFF's over for a Summer get together before its gone. Been collecting these for a few years now. 2013 La Rata which is a side project from the assistant winemaker at Cayuse. ~60% Grenache, 30% Cab Sauv, 10% Syrah and loaded with rocks funk. Gave this a 3 hour decant and it was worth the wait and the price of admission. Lots of herbs, rocks funk, strawberry, white pepper, and smoked meats.....

View attachment 76437

View attachment 76438

Man, they couldn't come up with a nicer name....lol

From their website:

In the Chinese Zodiac, the rat has strong curiosity, a rich imagination and the willingness to try its hand at anything. So does Elizabeth Bourcier—a self-described "cellar rat" who, in 2012, created her first wine—La Rata.

While working since 2008 under the legendary guidance of Cayuse Vineyards founder and vigneron Christophe Baron, Elizabeth has learned much about crafting adventurous wines of elegance, style and class.

1626129219570.png

Her inspiration for La Rata came after Christophe introduced her to a wine from the Priorat region of Spain that was also made by a female winemaker. Elizabeth was intrigued by what she tasted, and using biodynamic grapes from Cayuse vineyards, was able to create her own unique blend of Grenache, Cabernet Sauvignon, and a touch of Syrah.

Besides a nod to her own Zodiac sign, La Rata is the Spanish translation of The Rat—a tribute to the wine that was her original inspiration.

La Rata is a separate project from Cayuse Vineyards—a very special wine Elizabeth created using fruit from Armada, En Cerise, and La Paciencia vineyards. The extremely limited production is less than 150 cases per year.

Man, they couldn't come up with a nicer name....lol

View attachment 76437

View attachment 76438
What's a "rocks funk", or shouldn't I ask... I guess I could look it up on the internet since everything is true there...

The grapes are grown in The Rocks of Milton Freewater AVA in WA State. It looks like this.......

1626130444207.png

This terroir contributes what is known now days as "rocks funk" to the wine. It’s all savory characteristics. It’s meat and brine and olive tapenade and saline and mineral and even bacon fat!

Add this on top of the normal red wine characteristics of dark fruits, blue fruits and you have something very different and very special.

What's a "rocks funk", or shouldn't I ask... I guess I could look it up on the internet since everything is true there...

The grapes are grown in The Rocks of Milton Freewater AVA in WA State. It looks like this.......

View attachment 76440

This terroir contributes what is known now days as "rocks funk" to the wine. It’s all savory characteristics. It’s meat and brine and olive tapenade and saline and mineral and even bacon fat!

Add this on top of the normal red wine characteristics of dark fruits, blue fruits and you have something very different and very special.
Ummm, bacon!

Thanks for the explaination, see I can post things on here that deal with wine questions, occasionally...

Latest posts

Back