Vineco Kenridge Classic Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwd81

Junior
Reaction score
I'm thinking about starting a Kenridge Classic Chardonnay kit. Wondering if anyone has tried this one unoaked...

When I ran a Ferment on Premises a few years ago there were a few customers who liked it without the oak. I recall one customer who would make the Ken Ridge Classic Chardonnay without the oak, and the KRC Pinot Noir (which didn't come with oak) with oak, so it wasn't just that he didn't like oak.

Most customers made it with the oak, of course.

Personally I'm not a Chardonnay fan, and although I probably tasted it both ways, I don't recall it.

Steve

You can always ferment it without the oak. Let it ferment, rack and mostly clear, then taste it and if you think it would do better with oak, you can add it at that time.

Another alternative is to clear it; rack off one gallon to a one-gallon jug and oak that portion. Of course rack the remainder to a 5-gallon carboy.

After fermentation, I often split chardonnays into two 3-gallon batches and do different tweaks to each. It's all a learning process that can help one grow.

Latest posts

Back