Vineco Vineco changing clearing agent for some kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefman

Reaction score
I just read an article that Vineco is changing clearing agents as of Feb. 1, 2013. The article had a note as follows:

"Commercial wineries, please take note: Remember that Chitosan and Kieselsol may not be used as clarifying agents in finished wine sold to the public, since they are not yet approved by the TTB. It affects
Niagara Mist, KenRidge Classic, California
Connoisseur, and European Select. The Cheeky Monkey brand of kits will see
the change on kits produced after mid-March 2013 or so."

What's the issue with these clearing agents that they are not approved for commercial wines??

My guess would be since they are a shelfish derivitive, there is some level of concern. I believe this has been addressed and that they are safe to use but I am not sure.

My guess would be since they are a shelfish derivitive, there is some level of concern. I believe this has been addressed and that they are safe to use but I am not sure.

Rocky, you are correct in that Chitosan is made from shellfish... but the important thing to know is that the clearing agent is made from the chitin (the soft or hard shell) portion of the animal and NOT the protein portion of the shellfish. The protein part of the shellfish is what folks are allergic to.

I was once told by a kit manufacturer that Chitosan IS safe, even for those who are allergic to shellfish. It is a settling component that is used in many water treatment plants around the world. If it were not safe, they couldn't use it in that sort of environment.

So the question might be: Why isn't it approved by the TTB for use in commercial wines? For two reasons. The powerful wine lobby in Washington sees wine kits as a potential threat to their industry.* Also, the manufacturers of Chitosan have not sought to fight this lobbying effort by paying beaucoup dollars themselves for testing, proof, and counter-lobbying. What's the point?

*the funny thing is (and I have read articles about this that cite studies done) that people who make homemade wine never stop buying commercial wine. In fact, they buy MORE than before because they are 1) more interested in wine in general, and are prone to experiment / taste once they know more about wine, and 2) they are always on the lookout to compare their wines against store bought wines, or 3) need to buy wines to top off their losses due to excess ullage in the carboy.

I can honestly say that before I started making homemade wine almost 20 years ago, I almost never bought wine in a restaurant. Now, having a glass of homemade with my supper is so ingrained that NOW I typically buy a glass or two when I'm out having dinner at my favorite restaurants. How's that for increased consumption?

Plus, now I'm always on the lookout for new wines to try and wineries to visit. Do I sound like a threat to the wine industry? I think not.

Sorry, I digress. Hope that helps explain your question about Chitosan. Cheers!

Can we even purchase any of those in the lower 48? Wonder if it only affects the FOP places in Canada?

It's probably because I sent them a scientific article where at least one person has had an allergic reaction to Chitosan. This was a few months ago and their stock answer is that it is safe. But perhaps they are reconsidering how it could hurt sells if people do not want to use their clearing agent. I just bought my own isinglass and substituted it for the chitosan.

No just kidding, i have no idea if the article swayed them.

FOPs in British Columbia operate through a loop hole in federal legislation with approval from Provincial Government to ferment on premise we are not a winery license there for we are not considered a commercial winery. The way it works is the purchaser comes in and pays for food and puts the major ingredients including the yeast to make their own product then we take care of their product through the ferment and clearing stages. The purchaser then returns and bottles their product.The purchaser is considered to have made their own product because they start the process. Different FOP premises dictate the level of participation by the purchaser. But they are considered bootleggers if they are caught and the customer that is caught is given equal sentence and fine to the owner of the establishment. This is an area that is not perused too hard by liquor inspectors unless the operator is blatantly ignoring the law. But if the inspector is to the letter then a operator is best to protect the client by following the laws. Clear like mud. I guess to sum it up I doubt if this will effect the FOPs in B.C. If Vineco changes their finning regime it will be in all the kits for commercial or fop though as it would be cost prohibitive to two separate lines to package the same kits. As you know my supplier RJ Spagnols also use the kiesol and Chitosan finning system so if the law effects Vineco it will also effect RJ Spagnols. There are many changes coming up soon from the Food and Drug administration with labeling not only listing ingredients but what we can call a wine from a kit. Expect a large number of kits to be renamed to grape varietals rather than commercial names like Barolo will become Niabbilo, Brunello will become Sanjovese. Many more will change as well. It is going to cost a lot of money for some bureaucrat to justify their job title. But it will also create a advertising opportunity for the fop business if the operator is knowledgeable in their wines and what goes into the original wine for grape varietals.

I think this may apply to people who produce kit wines and then sell them commercially, which according to the government you can do if you have the proper permits and and have paid the appropriate taxes to the Alcohol and Tobacco and Trade Bureau (TTB). If kieselsol and chitosan have not been approved for use in commercial wines, it would make since that one would not be able to use them if one intends to later sell it (legally).

I'm not sure to what extent commercial wineries even use clarifiers. If the wine is aged for a sufficiently long period of time, there would probably be no need.

Latest posts

Back