Acids

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Historically I have always added Acid Blend when adding acid to the various fruit wines I have made. Obviously Acid Blend is a blend of Citric, Malic and Tartaric acids. Is there any benefit to adding an individual component over the blend when adjusting acid levels. Curiosity has me on this one.

Technically yes. However the average person won't know which specific acid to add. Plus most would not know the difference when tasting. I believe there is a page on Jack Kellers site that shows what fruit is dominant or low on acid wise.

You would find yourself doing a lot more tests than you would want to do. Stick with the acid blend but always do an acid test before adding it. Never just add any acid just because a recipe calls for it.

I used to add Acid Blend - but have recently started only using Tartaric Acid.

IMO - I like the acidity taste better with just the TA.

Technically yes. However the average person won't know which specific acid to add. Plus most would not know the difference when tasting. I believe there is a page on Jack Kellers site that shows what fruit is dominant or low on acid wise.

You would find yourself doing a lot more tests than you would want to do. Stick with the acid blend but always do an acid test before adding it. Never just add any acid just because a recipe calls for it.

Nover add blindly. I always make a test first.

I used to add Acid Blend - but have recently started only using Tartaric Acid.

IMO - I like the acidity taste better with just the TA.

Is there a noticible difference?

Without the Malic Acid - I think there is. Doesn't have the "Bite" if you will. Unripe fruit contain high levels of malic acid - so that is the "Bite" that i am referring to.

I was asking this question because I will be getting ready to start steaming the 40+ lbs of elderberries this week in anticipation of starting the wine. I know Elderberries are very low in acid and in the past have used the acid blend. I'm wondering about the difference in taste using the blend vs an individual. I may have to experiment depending on how much juice I have.

Back