Vineco Something I don't Understand Again..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok the instructions say if the s.g is at .995 that fermentation is complete, but this is just the 12th day! I guess i still have to go thru the whole process with the instructions right? Will the s.g still continue to go down further?

the rule that I folow is, once bellow 1.000, when the S.G. stays the same for 3 days in a row, it's done fermenting.

The timeframe in the instruction is only an indicator as mother nature follows her own schedule :)

ok the instructions say if the s.g is at .995 that fermentation is complete, but this is just the 12th day! I guess i still have to go thru the whole process with the instructions right? Will the s.g still continue to go down further?
Please always tell us what wine you are talking about. Many answers are specific to the wine.

Winexpert and Vineco kits tend to ferment down to .992. Spagnols kits would probably be done about .995.

As a general answer, BigJeff is bang on.

Steve

Trust your hydrometer - every wine ferments at a different pace. The instructions are just a set of guidelines to go off.

thanks for the replies guys

the kit is a Kenridge Showcase Pinot Grigio. 12 days ago the s.g was 1.084 and now its at .994 and in the carboy for the first day and supposed to be in there for at least 14 days to finish out fermenting.

i'll check to see if theres any change in the next two days if not i'll continue with the next steps. thanks again guys

There is no timeline.
Let the wine tell you what it wants to tell you.

At .995 it is finished. You might want to wait a bit to see if it drops further but I doubt that.

I have had wines finishing to .995 in 4 days !!!!

It all depends on the wine.

Timelines are just guidances, no firm rules in winemaking.

Luc

thanks for the replies guys

the kit is a Kenridge Showcase Pinot Grigio. 12 days ago the s.g was 1.084 and now its at .994 and in the carboy for the first day and supposed to be in there for at least 14 days to finish out fermenting.

i'll check to see if theres any change in the next two days if not i'll continue with the next steps. thanks again guys
Personally I wait the number of days, and if the specific gravity is correct, then I proceed.

In this case, I would check the sg aft 7-8 days, and if below 1.005 move to the carboy. Then I would ignore until day 28 or whenever, and the sh would probably be about .992, sop I would proceed.

I can't recall making the KRS Pinot Grigio, but I have made a number of other KRS kits especially the German Gewurztraminer (a family fave).

Steve

Latest posts

Back