Racking from carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly boy

Reaction score
I have come to a conclusion racking from the carboy with the auto siphon is great, but is an art form. One slip andsediment can mushroom. Getting better at it, butthe technique does need perfection.

My technique that works well for me Fly Boy is that I will hold the auto siphon up in the top half of the carboy to beginand as the siphoning progresses I will ease it down slowly as the level drops. I never let the bottom of the auto siphon touch the sediment.

I do just like Waldo. I feel I loose a a little wine this way but I don't suck up any sediment. I have never been able to rest the tip on the bottom and not draw in sediment.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I do the same as Waldo, easing the auto-siphon down a little at a time, except I do get down to the lees eventually as I tip the Carboy. I would rather suck up a little sediment than throw out good wine, the only time I do my darndest to not get sediment, is the last racking before bottling, not much left by then.
Dave

Latest posts

Back