Mosti Mondiale MM All Juice Bucket as Primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone ever reused one as a primary?

Hate to throw away a good bucket especially one that would hold 6 gallons. I guess you would have to drill a hole for a spigot and on top for airlock.

ibglowin said:
Anyone ever reused one as a primary?

Hate to throw away a good bucket especially one that would hold 6 gallons. I guess you would have to drill a hole for a spigot and on top for airlock.
Do it all the time. I replace the lid with a regular fermentor one. I find the lid that comes on the bucket dont always seal airtight. For the primary lay the lid on top DO NOT snap it shut. Wait till it gets around 1.030 before you snap it closed.

For me this pail is too small. But as already stated, many folks use them as primaries.

Steve

Mike,

I would not recommend using the All Juice 6-gallon bucket as a primary fermenter purely from a foam/mess situation unless you are working with 3-gallon batches. I moved to a 10-gallon fermenter for 6-gallon batches to accomodate the foaming potential or skins in the kit.

The buckets work great, however, for a receptacle for holding the cleaning solution while you are working like a mini-cleaning station. I do the same thing for sanitizing, so I have two setup right next to one another when I'm working. Finally, they make great corkidors (sanitized cork storage containers) thanks to the rubber seal in the lid. I also use them for stands in case I need to hold my press up next to a fermenter or as a step-stool if my youngest wants to check out the carboys.

- Jim

Guess I will have to fill it up to see what 6 gallons looks like in it. At the minimum it should make out fine as a temporary racking container to hold a batch while you rinse out the glass carboy.

My 4th kit is now in secondary glass. 5th should ship out today. Now we have this labor day sale staring me straight in the eye. 6th kit by the end of the week I am sure. I may need to just go pick up another real primary!

Mike,

Now you are talking - get multiple primaries and you're really firing on more cylinders.

- Jim

I use them for smaller batches and sometimes even for beer. They work great, just a tad on the small side. I have 9 gallons of Hard Lemonade going right now for a party this weekend- in two buckets of course. This is my first attempt at it, but it is going great so far and smells super.

When we used the AllJuice pails as primary's we initially only filled the pail up to 20L to allow extra head space for the active foaming. Then after a few days when the active foaming has calmed down add the remaining water to fill to 23L.

Seem to remember the 23L level mark is 2" from the top of the All Juice pails. but do not have my notes handy to verify.

appleman said:
I use them for smaller batches and sometimes even for beer. They work great, just a tad on the small side. I have 9 gallons of Hard Lemonade going right now for a party this weekend- in two buckets of course. This is my first attempt at it, but it is going great so far and smells super.
Recipe please?

tepe said:
appleman said:
Recipe please?

See the post I started for it under fruit wines- not sure what category to put it in!

I use this bucket as my corkidor. I put in a gallon of sulfite solution in a glass jug and pour my corks all around it ad seal the lid. This will keep your corks clean and sanitized for many many months. and if not opened too much you wont have to change that solution for around 6 months maybe even longer. just be prepared and open this bucket outside as the sulfite will be very potent all built up in there!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would not ferment a 6 gallon wine in there or a 5 gallon beer in there myself as Ive had 5 gallons of beer foam out of my .9 gallon bucket and same with wine almost!!!!!

I use them for beer and also utility bucket in the brewery to mix up sanitizer, soak and clean equipment etc. I never seem to have enough buckets around. I use them for 3 gallon batches of wine which I make a lot of 3 gallon batches.

Looks like the consensus is its not big enough for primary but OK for temporary racking storage while you clean out your carboy.

Going shopping this weekend for another 6g glass carboy (now up to 5 in only 2 months) as well as another real primary!

Mike,

We're a couple of months apart from our respective starts, but I feel your pain. I'm up to six carboys now (four presently in use for oak extraction) and will be buying at least another 4 as a local produce wholesaler in town is bringing in fresh juice and grapes from the Napa Valley in two weeks - I'm making the leap to fresh juice.

Ike

Ike,

We want to here all about your big leap.

Good luck and remember pics or it never happened!
smiley36.gif

I used a 6.5 gallon bucket as a primary for an MM All Juice, snapped the lid, but used one of those domed two-piece airlocks instead of the "S" shaped. The "S" was not keeping up with the gas being released and there was a little volcano going on there from the airlock. I caught it quickly, didn't know what to do at first, the only thing I could think was to try the different airlock and that solved my problem. The domed airlock was able to keep up with the gas much better than the "S." I would use it again for an MM All Juice but prefer to use my wider bucket that has a little more room at the top.

Latest posts

Back