Other What would you make again?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I recall correctly, the kit comes with a good amount of medium Hungarian oak and it was enough for me. Oak is a personal thing though, and everyone's taste is different.

The kit came with 2 40g bags of medium toast French/American oak chips (Labeled "MT FR/AM Oak Chips"). Per instructions they were added to the primary fermenter, not carried over to the secondary - which in my case means they were in contact for 6 days.
During the first 3 or 4 days there was a strong oak fragrance coming from the must.
Sounds like I may not need to add any more. Certainly don't want to ruin it with too much oak.
Thanks to you and Brian55 for the replies.

The kit came with 2 40g bags of medium toast French/American oak chips (Labeled "MT FR/AM Oak Chips"). Per instructions they were added to the primary fermenter, not carried over to the secondary - which in my case means they were in contact for 6 days.
During the first 3 or 4 days there was a strong oak fragrance coming from the must.
Sounds like I may not need to add any more. Certainly don't want to ruin it with too much oak.
Thanks to you and Brian55 for the replies.
There should be oak cubes included with the kit as well, if I remember correctly. If not, go ahead and add a spiral during bulk aging.

There should be oak cubes included with the kit as well, if I remember correctly. If not, go ahead and add a spiral during bulk aging.

Agree. Mine came with chips for primary and cubes for secondary/aging. I think it was 60g of Med Hungarian for aging.

We're talking RJS En Primeur Winery Series Super Tuscan. Maybe the kit has changed. No oak cubes in mine and no mention of cubes at all in the instructions.
When it's time to bulk age, I'll go by taste and use just 1 spiral if any oak is needed.
Thanks you guys.

RJS En Primeur Italy Super Tuscan started Jan. 2017. Bulk aged since. Tasted yesterday, really good up front, great body, wonderful finish. Will bottle in two months. Will start another one of these soon.

Latest posts

Back