Local Cabernet Franc grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racking and adding Kmeta to this Cab Franc batch. In the process I withdrew a small sample to try as I'm deciding how much more oak to add depending on what the body will allow. First thing I noticed right off the batch was the lack of dark color. I've attached a few images to show this the best I can. Now the body (and alcohol, ~14% ABV) is much heavier than the appearance, so I may just blend a few liters of Dornfelder to darken it up a bit. Not noticing a bunch of "green bean/pepper/herb" flavors in the wine, so I'm happy with that. Maybe the ferment was too quick and/or GRE might not preserve as much color as another yeast would have, so lesson learned for next attempt.

Whew! Better wait for some food before I drink any more, I'm feeling the effects of 1/2 glass of this wine.

11-24-16_Cab-Franc-1.jpg

11-24-16_Cab-Franc-2.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a light bodied CF in my book, all about balance. Mine this year is also lighter than last. Due to travel I was unable to do much of a cold soak and no extended maceration, so it was off the skins in 8 days. I may blend in a bit of PS or Petit Verdot before bottling, but I'm going to let it age alone for a while first.

Nothing wrong with a light bodied CF in my book, all about balance. Mine this year is also lighter than last. Due to travel I was unable to do much of a cold soak and no extended maceration, so it was off the skins in 8 days. I may blend in a bit of PS or Petit Verdot before bottling, but I'm going to let it age alone for a while first.

Okay, first time working with this grape. So if it is more like a Pinot Noir that depends on balance (in my book) I should not over oak. I have a pack of spirals, usually it is one (8 inches worth) for 3 gallons, so I'll put 6 inches of the spiral in my 3 gallon carboy and the 10 remain inches in the 5 gallon carboy, then test liberally starting in a few weeks. If it is lacking after a few months I can always add some more.

In the young wine (with carbonation) I taste fruity, alcohol, and some dried fruit. The nose already reminds me of my Chilean Meritage blend (Merlot/Cab Sauv/Malbec) and the Dornfelder. Nice dry/almost austere in nature with some oak in the background. Didn't get that in the other wines until much older. Here's to draining what's in your glass with the promise there is more to fill it!

Thanks for your insights.

You definitely make some quick wine! 4 day fermentation and a two week mlf...... Wow
Ya... It will be a light wine.

You definitely make some quick wine! 4 day fermentation and a two week mlf...... Wow
Ya... It will be a light wine.

Next time I'll use AMH yeast, that one took two weeks on my Zin. Didn't try to rush this batch but I press when it hits 1.000 normally, unless time constraints alter the schedule.

Maybe I should consider a pre-ferment cold soak next time, just have to find a way to get the temps down, maybe some dry ice?

At least it is a light wine with some nice flavor, just can't overdo the oak.

I do a two day soak then the ferment takes between 10 and 12 days.... That takes it to a two week process... I have friends that do it in three weeks. This year I did a Malbec in 6 days.... Usually due to heat and nutrients that dictate the time.... But a good red wine needs some time on the skins....

Bottled up a 375ml of this one to take to @jgmann67 's tomorrow. We did a 50/50 blend of a Petite Sirah/Zinfandel. Wondering what a 50/50 of a Petite Sirah/Cab Fanc would be like. Drinking a glass right now from the carboy (used the thief, didn't tip), very light but has an incredibly edible nose, and the flavor is much more expressive than the color would lead you to believe. I really like this wine and the level I oaked it, has nice flavor even though the body is a tad light. A keeper in my book. I'm sure I'll enjoy it for years to come.

6-24-17_cab-franc.JPG

From the pic, my first thought was 'very light'. Good to know its proving to go beyond that color. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Zin/PS tomorrow and also those on the 100% PS, if you happen to try it. So far, I'm really happy with my 2016 Lanza PS.

PS (post script, not petite sirah): It's almost blending time. :db

From the pic, my first thought was 'very light'. Good to know its proving to go beyond that color. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Zin/PS tomorrow and also those on the 100% PS, if you happen to try it. So far, I'm really happy with my 2016 Lanza PS.

PS (post script, not petite sirah): It's almost blending time. :db

Gonna be a good day, 'Tater...

I wondered about how long to wait before blending. So you're saying about 9-12 months?

I racked my Lanza PS a couple weeks ago and it starting to mellow very nicely. The tannins are still huge, of course. How long should this age before bottling? Being ready to drink?

Gonna be a good day, 'Tater...

I wondered about how long to wait before blending. So you're saying about 9-12 months?

I racked my Lanza PS a couple weeks ago and it starting to mellow very nicely. The tannins are still huge, of course. How long should this age before bottling? Being ready to drink?

When to blend? I'm forced to in July/Aug so I can bottle in September to make room for the next vintage. Otherwise, I'd probably blend at 1 year, then let it sit 1-3 months before bottling. (though I may be cutting back production a bit and that would help)

How long to age the PS? That's up to you and a matter of taste. I can tell you that the first one I made barely lasted 3 years, and at the end, it was getting really good.

From the pic, my first thought was 'very light'. Good to know its proving to go beyond that color.

I changed my mind on that one, it's very light, especially after tasting the PS/Zin blend. Took half a glass until I could taste anything. Though Jim's wife seemed to like it since it was lighter than the PS/Zin. Still has some gas in it too since it's only been through one winter in the basement.

Latest posts

Back