Is this what I think it is?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Out walking the dogs today and glanced over at this vine growing up an old juniper trunk. Looks to be a volunteer of sorts but have no idea how it got there.

Looks like Hops! :r

IMG_0621.jpg

The other side of the fence is somebody's backyard so perhaps they planted some and this one decided to see what was on the other side. We have had a record breaking wet Summer so perhaps it has survived just due to all the rain we have had. How do you know when they are ready to pick? LOL

Mike when the petals start to open up, they are ready to pick.

Also you can freeze them and use them when steaming any meats

Was reading up on the interwebs last night on them. Morebeer had a nice tutorial on when to pick and how to dry. The top looks like they are further along than the bottom ones. I would say it looked like about 100 cones all together top to bottom. Will keep an eye on them and I have several coworkers who make beer as a hobby so perhaps we can put them to good use later on this Fall.

Awesome find. I'd like to grow my own, but our yard won't really allow it.

100 cones, once dried, would probably give you in the ballpark of 2/3 oz., depending on cone size. That definitely won't give you that much impact in a 5 gallon batch, but might be just about right for a 3 gallon batch of a blonde ale. A clean base beer should allow the flavor of the hop to really come through.

Here is a recipe that I've made a couple times that has been a hit with just about everyone.

Can you blend hops? Have no idea what type these are anyways so may add enough from my LHBS or another beer making buddy who also grows Hops. I would like to see if I could dig a few rhizomes and start my own next Spring and properly feed and care for them.

Thanks for that recipe as well, looks like a good one!

Sure, but note that certain hops pair better than others. It might be best to do a simple blonde or pale ale with this year's crop to get an idea of the flavor profile (citrusy, piney, earthy, etc.) and then blend next year with hops that you think would work well with yours. First year plants don't generally yield very much, so you'll probably need to do a little blending if you want to make a bigger batch next year.

You can always use a different hop as your bittering hop. Those are the ones added early in the boil that contribute bitterness through their alpha acids (AA%), but don't really contribute to the flavor or aroma. I'd save your hops for late additions or dry hopping so that the flavor and aroma really come through.

Latest posts

Back