Hard root beer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 weeks in the bottle and it is not nearly as carbed as I would have expected.
I have left them in an empty cooler in my garage. The garage fluctuates between 60 and 80F, but in order to avoid bottle bombs I kept the lid shut.
I did try 1 bottle and there is too much honey for my taste!

I am thinking of making this too! started for the same reason of trying "Not your father's root beer" but i am going to go the route of making root beer out of sarsaparilla and sassafras and other spices and Malt extract, then ferment it dry, sweeten with honey and b. sugar like you did, and bottle condition them until the plastic one is hard then pasteurize them to kill the yeast.
I am wondering though, did your beer fall pretty clear in your primary? i am trying to decide if i want to fine it so that it is mostly clear and yeast free when i bottle it, then mix a yeast with it then?

I am thinking of making this too! started for the same reason of trying "Not your father's root beer" but i am going to go the route of making root beer out of sarsaparilla and sassafras and other spices and Malt extract, then ferment it dry, sweeten with honey and b. sugar like you did, and bottle condition them until the plastic one is hard then pasteurize them to kill the yeast.
I am wondering though, did your beer fall pretty clear in your primary? i am trying to decide if i want to fine it so that it is mostly clear and yeast free when i bottle it, then mix a yeast with it then?

It cleared nicely, but I cold crashed for 2 days prior to bottling.

Let me know how your method works out?

The
It cleared nicely, but I cold crashed for 2 days prior to bottling.

Let me know how your method works out?

I will definitely let you know how it turned out! My "roots" just got here today, so I might brew this tomorrow! How long is a normal ferment for beer? This will be my first attempt at beer though I have made quite a bit of wine.

The

I will definitely let you know how it turned out! My "roots" just got here today, so I might brew this tomorrow! How long is a normal ferment for beer? This will be my first attempt at beer though I have made quite a bit of wine.

I always let the beer sit in primary for atleast 3 weeks. 2 of those days are usually cold crashing before bottling

Pitched the yeast last night! This morning it was bubbling out of my airlock, bit of a mess. I boiled light malt extract for 30 min added the herbs, then boiled for another 30 min, cooled and pitched yeast and put into carboys leaving the herbs in there. Hope it turns out!

3 weeks in the bottle and it is not nearly as carbed as I would like.
I will let it go 2 more days than pasteurize
Still tastes of way too much honey
ImageUploadedByWine Making1437153058.160150.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1437153078.446482.jpg

By "honey taste" do you mean that it is sweet or that the flavor of the honey over powers all other flavors in the root beer? I ask because I have a few gallons of elderflower mead ready for bottling and the honey does not "overpower" the flavor of the elderflowers but it seems to have reduced the keenness or sharpness of the flavor the florets bring to elderflower wines

It is sweet, due to allh e sugary stuff.
But the honey flavor is more forward than either the vanilla or rootbeer.
I am going to let them sit and mellow out

Latest posts

Back