Sweet Tea Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh wow.....yet ANOTHER one I've gotta try!! Love it!! What was your total fermentation time in both primary and secondary? Would you suggest modifying anything to that original recipe?

Oh wow.....yet ANOTHER one I've gotta try!! Love it!! What was your total fermentation time in both primary and secondary? Would you suggest modifying anything to that original recipe?

Primary- 13 days SG 1.085 to 1.000
Secondary- 6 days SG 1.000 to .992
Yeast- EC1118
Original recipe was pretty much ok. I only made 1 gallon and didn't record how many tea bags I used.

Primary- 13 days SG 1.085 to 1.000
Secondary- 6 days SG 1.000 to .992
Yeast- EC1118
Original recipe was pretty much ok. I only made 1 gallon and didn't record how many tea bags I used.

Thank you, this gives me something to go off of at least!

just me but i''d boil on low boil 2 family size tee bags, per gallon for a half hour start timing after your boil strats, each, remember low boil, when all five have cooled down put in carboy sweeten to a SQ of around 1200. then after fermentation you can add water to suit your taste, no clue on yeast, I fall back most always to 1118 yeast, just normal sweet tea tastes better after 3 days in the fridge, so you can also after boiling you could refrigerate for 3 days before adding to carboy, hope you don't mind me try this as well, yhats one of the most adventures I've head in a while as it it that I love proper sweet tea, beings as i'm from the south myself, an sill down here as well good luck an if you stumble on to a truly great sweet tea wine i'd love to know how myself, I drink a blend of black tea an orange ponoke ::
Richard::

How much tea did you use? I am shooting for a 5 gallon batch and I have the giant tea bags you get from SAMs that you use 1 to make a gallon of tea.

We have always put a good pinch of baking soda in our tea while its steeping. MIL said it gets all the strength out of the tea and makes it clearer. Would baking soda affect anything in the wine making or tea wine. Making? Guess it could be called
Sweet Twine. I think I just gotta try a gallon. I've had a beer, of sorts, that was sweet tea. Redds I think. Btw...the wicked Apple is very very good. Takes me back to high school and Boones Apple. Sorry, I got distracted by a shiny object.

I'll answer my own question for y'all. Baking soda reduces the tannins in the tea. So for wine, I don't think it should be added.

Ok so I have to hold my hands up and admit it posted this in the wrong place, but, cant see how to delete it.

Last edited:
I made sweet tea wine once a few years ago. It was just okay, nothing special. It lacked body and certainly didn't come out like I'd hoped it would, i.e. sweet tea flavor with alcohol only present in the back end. That could easily have been the kind of yeast I used or just as easily the type of sugar. The thought occurs to me that a batch with brown sugar instead of white would definitely add mouth feel and might improve the flavor. It would be worth tinkering around a bit too see how good it can become.

How did that turn out for you, JS? I'm thinking of a version of Skeeter Pee Sweet Tea wine. I've always liked lemon in my tea, or is it tea flavored lemonade?

Are you brewing the tea first or just putting the bags in the water for the ferment process?

10 small teabags per gallon

I have made several gallons of tea wine, mostly following Jack Keller's recipes. In those recipes the amount of teabags per gallon of finished wine is usually 10 standard size teabags.:fsh

If I were to use white grape juice concentrate as a base for this, would it eliminate the need for nutrients without altering the flavor too much?

Tea wine.

Here is the recipe I'm thinking about for a 5 gallon batch,
5 giant tea bags (directions say 1 per gallon on box)
Sugar to SG 1.09
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 tsp acid blend
2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed campden tablet
Yeast thinking EC1118
Water to a little over 5 gallons

Thought???
Just made my first batch. I used 60 small bags of Su Yi tea. Zest and juice from 6 lemons.so no acid blend was necessary. And pure honey instead of sugar. 6 gallon batch.

Thinking of making some of this, using 1 can of frozen white grape juice concentrate per gallon for body. And I like the idea of using lemons and zest.

Latest posts

Back