Packlab My First Kit: Tropical Reisling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opened our first bottle!

We couldn't stand it any longer and opened our first bottle last night!
It wouldn't win any ribbons but it was actually quite good.
I wanted to see if the wife was just trying to spare my feelings so I asked, "Well, do you think it is good enough that you would serve it to your friends?" I loved her response, "Oh yeah! But I am not sharing any of this with anybody!" And she is a very "giving" person, so I take that as high praise.

When I started this journey I set myself up with low expectations. I figured anything that wasn't a pour down the drain was a success. It is much better than that and I am beside myself. It is hard to believe that I made this; a man who can't boil water without burning it!

The wine has a very smooth fruit forward taste, mostly grapefruit and mango. Light bodied, but a decent mouth feel. Not overly sweet (I used only 1/2 the f-pack). Just a tad of harshness on the finish, but that is already diminished from last week when we tasted it at bottling. I expect this to mellow out over the next few months.

We did give a bottle to our daughter, so I will be anxious to see what she thinks as well...

Latest posts

Back