What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmm, jerk pork chops or thinly sliced thin london boil on sub rolls (sorta like cheese steaks)...decisions, decisions. Only downer is that line of T-storms is about an hour away, with more behind that. Don't know if I risk starting up some charcoal to cook, though I could put it on the front porch where it will be somewhat protected. Tough decision. Just might melt some vinyl siding. I'll drink a beer and go from there.

Edit: Going for the London broil sandwiches/hoagies, just started up a marinate with red wine (Valopolicella), garlic, sea salt, garlic, oregano, horseradish and a little more fresh garlic.

Edit²: Rushed out to weed the garden before the rain hit, found some nice green beans and picked those instead of weeding. Much more satisfying than weeding IMHO. Images later...

Last edited:
Having a friend over and will meet her new beau for the first time, so I am going to grill: hanger steaks (with chimichurri); shrimp (garlic, bread crumbs, lemon thyme); corn on the cob, then cut off the cob with spices; and green beans and fennel bulb; for dessert, grilled nectarines with locally made whiskey ice cream. Wish me luck!

Looks like the forum's eating well tonight.

We are headed out with some friends to an Italian place that I've not been to in ages, but started going to with my parents when I was in high school.

First time Chicken breast, pork chops, some corn and just a couple hot dogs to try.

Anything special to be done when the pork chops are a bit too thick and already on the grill? Lol

ImageUploadedByWine Making1500754320.434499.jpg

First time Chicken breast, pork chops, some corn and just a couple hot dogs to try.

Anything special to be done when the pork chops are a bit too thick and already on the grill? Lol

Sometimes I leave an area underneath without any coals, and if the chicken or pork chops start getting too charred, I move them to this "safe zone" so they can finish cooking. Use a thermometer to get it where you like it doneness wise. You can follow USDA temps for some dry food, or you can experiment and adjust as you learn by cooking every night for the next 10 years on that grill.

Yup, already know about the safe zone.
Taking a bit longer but looking very good!
Also, what do you guys use when cooking meat/steak to keep it moist, any specific sauce?
For the chops I just a bit of olive oil and steak seasoning (dry stuff).

Yup, already know about the safe zone.
Taking a bit longer but looking very good!
Also, what do you guys use when cooking meat/steak to keep it moist, any specific sauce?
For the chops I just a bit of olive oil and steak seasoning (dry stuff).

Sounds like you are a natural: IMHO, for something like a steak or chop, the only liquid you should use is olive oil (or another oil). If you use anything with water, you just wind up "steaming" the meat.

Other related tips: consider brining or dry brining the meat first, then dry it with paper towels. Then, when cooking, cook on a very hot grill until you get the brown you want, then transfer, as you three discussed above. A thick chop or steak helps, too.

My fave is to dry-brine a thick steak (1.5"), optionally put a bit of oil on, cook 3.5 minutes per side on a hot grill, then rest off the grill. Should come out med rare.

I agree with Paul. If you can marinate/brine/dry rub the meat and it has a decent amount of Kosher salt/sea salt in the marinate/dry rub (brine ain't a brine without it), it will help retain the moisture while you cook it. I will sometimes boil the marinate and use it as I cook on the grill, but only with cuts that take 15+ minutes to finish (thick London broil - which is usually a top round cut - can take around 20 minutes if it is thick enough (1 3/4 to 2 inches thick)).

Edit: Going for the London broil sandwiches/hoagies, just started up a marinate with red wine (Valopolicella), garlic, sea salt, garlic, oregano, horseradish and a little more fresh garlic.

Do you have a go-to recipe or cooking style for London broil?
London broil somehow kept appearing in our refrigerator. And always with 'on sale' price stickers cheaper than dirt. After doing many different recipes and cooking techniques from online or friends, I had to put a stop to the madness. The last attempt (slow cooked, low heat, butter and spices) ended in ordering a pizza.
I sat her down and we had to have us a little powwow. I said, "Heather, honey, baby, I don't complain ever. And you know how much I appreciate how laundry is always done, how you do the bulk of the cleaning, and the majority of the food shopping. But, for the love of god, PLEASE STOP BUYING LONDON BROIL! Especially when it's dirt cheap! Nobody likes chewing a piece of steak for 10 minutes. And for whatever reason, I just cannot cook it. Every way ends the same. So, I am banning London broil from our refrigerator. DO NOT BUY IT ANYMORE!"
So far so good. I chalk it up as a loss. London broil beat me. I can't cook it, and felt defeated each and every time dinner table conversations were replaced by chewing, and chewing, and chewing.
Almost home from work, and no clue what's for dinner. We have a rare rainy Saturday night with a quiet house . Last night was the farm fair and 3 kids in the house for a sleepover. Tonight- zero kids! - and I can't wait. Aside from the quiet and the clean, it also allows for interesting/different/fun dinners we normally don't get to make. Hopefully she planned accordingly.

I shared your post with my wife (Barbara), and we laughed, not at you, but the fun you have had with London Boil. It can be a really challenging cut of beef. The key is how you cut it. It must be against the grain (like 90 degrees). Marinating it helps a bunch, and I tend to do it at least 4 hours if not overnight. Tenderizers are great, but I can't use them since I have a gluten free kid. My Mom's recipe follows, I make this in one form or another using this recipe as a starting point:

Steak Siciliano

Top round, 2.5 to 3 inches thick
1 cup burgundy
1 small garlic clove or minced (or 5 times that much - my addition to the recipe)
1 TBS Worchestershire sauce
1/4 tsp Oregano
1 small onion minced
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
2 TBS horseradish, minced
2 TBS chopped parsley
2 TBS prepared mustard
1 TBS table sugar
2 TBS olive oil

Sprinkle meat with tenderizer. Let stand 1/2 hour at room temp. Pour above mixture over meat and marinate for at least 2 - 3 hours in fridge, turning several times. Grill or broil to desired doneness (20 minutes (10 per side if 2 inches thick on 500*F grill)).

I aim for around 145*F, let it rest for 15 minutes under foil, then cut with a very sharp knife at an angle perpendicular to the grain.

The ones I did tonight were very thin, that's why I cut/chopped/added cheese in a large pot. Added to fluffy buns and some added A1 steak sauce. Yum.

Edit: Oh, don't be stingy on the wine. Depending on the container you put it in, I try and add enough wine to come up at least 1/2 way on the meat. That way it seems to wick better into the meat, and remember to turn it every few hours, unless you do it overnight. If I do that I turn it in the morning and then a few hours before I plan on grilling it.

7-23-17_dinner-1.JPG

7-23-17_dinner-2.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the recipe. There's essentially endless recipes online and We Have just been blindly choosing. I think we may lift the ban for one night only to give Steak Siciliano a shot. We just looked it over and she was sold right away.
Th Broil cheesesteaks look amazing too. If all goes as planned we would definitely make these sandwiches. I can't let the Broil win. And I'm sure your laughing because you know. You've chewed on a poorly cooked London broil before. Everyone has. "Dad, Can you help me cut my meat?" is the mantra here. We would basically be drawing straws to not cook. "I tried the last 2 times. It's your turn now. Good luck. Don't screw it up!" --kinda thing. A running joke in this house.
We will be working together on Mama Ceeaton's Steak Siciliano though. We need to prove to ourselves that we are smart capable parents who are able to cook a freaking London broil! (As well as to show you and Babs that we can do the family recipe proud). I'm sure I'll be letting you know when we do.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. There's essentially endless recipes online and We Have just been blindly choosing. I think we may lift the ban for one night only to give Steak Siciliano a shot. We just looked it over and she was sold right away.
Th Broil cheesesteaks look amazing too. If all goes as planned we would definitely make these sandwiches. I can't let the Broil win. And I'm sure your laughing because you know. You've chewed on a poorly cooked London broil before. Everyone has. "Dad, Can you help me cut my meat?" is the mantra here. We would basically be drawing straws to not cook. "I tried the last 2 times. It's your turn now. Good luck. Don't screw it up!" --kinda thing. A running joke in this house.
We will be working together on Mama Ceeaton's Steak Siciliano though. We need to prove to ourselves that we are smart capable parents who are able to cook a freaking London broil! (As well as to show you and Babs that we can do the family recipe proud). I'm sure I'll be letting you know when we do.

It was good enough that my youngest son made two london broil quesedillas for lunch! Jerk pork chops tonight.

Wow, what a downpour. I got soaked just trying to turn the pork chops. Turned out great, served with smashed sour cream potatoes, sauerkraut and a salad on the side. I can taste some cinnamon from the jerk marinate, but there is little heat. The chops stayed very moist for as how thin they are. All (including my hot dog monger) actually ate the same meal (score!!!).

Ham on the grill on deck for tomorrow.

7-24-17_pork-1.JPG

7-24-17_pork-2.JPG

7-24-17_pork-3.JPG

I forgot to mention what "fun/interesting" kid-free dinner I was coming home to yesterday. She did not disappoint me. It was pasta dish. Farfalle (bow/ties) w/ Alfredo sauce, Cajun chicken, tomatoes & parsley(both homegrown). Delish. So good that we had it again tonight. (Always makes enough for a leftover day)
Happy Shark week all. I'm about to watch this over hyped phelps vs. white shark
nonsense. And I love every second!

IMG_5906.JPG

Back