Other Fermenting a kit dry that wasn't meant to

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orto

Reaction score
I've been wondering this for a while now. If a kit says its off dry can it be fermented all the way dry, or have they added something to keep it sweet after it has completely fermented? for example could a reisling kit be fermented so that it is dry like Alsation reisling, or will it ferment out and still be sweet?

Some kits are off-dry because they contain a sweetening bag to be added after the sorbate. If this is a suss-reserve (ie juice), I generally add it to the primary fermenter instead of some of the water. If it appears to be a sugar addition (usually less expensive kits), I don't use it all.

I have definitely done this with some better quality rieslings and gewurztraminers.

Steve

All kits will ferment to dry (except for high alcohol desert wine kits). You can't easily stop the fermentation process.

You can definitely ferment to dry, and then you can decide to add or not add any flavor packs in the kit.

What many folks do is add some or all of the flavor pack during primary fermentation to impart flavor. That will boost alcohol, but add flavor.

I think it ultimately depends on the kit. You can ferment almost any kit to dryness, but dryness may not be the best outcome. That will depend on your own taste and other factors. Some wines will taste better to a lot of people with just a little backsweetening. Just because you ferment a Riesling kit to dryness does not mean it will necessarily taste like a dry Riesling from Alsace, for example.

That being said, you are pretty unlikely to see a legitimate kit wine sourced from Alsace, so there is nothing wrong with trying to work in that direction if that is what you want!

Latest posts

Back