Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it was just @ceeaton, my money would definitely be on @ibglowin, but I'm sensing a very resolute bit of attitude and pride from @jgmann67, so I'm thinking it's even money either way! In either case, I hope the wine wins!!

Ever since @JohnT ruined me with that 40 days without wine thing, I've had troubles drinking the volumes of alcohol I was before. I actually have no interest in bottling any of my red wines, except maybe the Dornfelder from Sept 2015. I very well may not make any wine this Fall, unless my wife requests a batch. On a side note I've noticed my appetite for food has decreased as my wine/beer intake has decreased, and that decrease is what is helping me keep a slow steady weight loss pace intact, which has become more important to me than drinking my life away. I'm down around 35 lbs since January 1st.

If it was just @ceeaton, my money would definitely be on @ibglowin, but I'm sensing a very resolute bit of attitude and pride from @jgmann67, so I'm thinking it's even money either way! In either case, I hope the wine wins!!

True story - twenty-five years ago, my first wife told me my plan to get out of the Army to earn my bachelors degree and go to law school was a waste of time... it would be too difficult and I wouldn't be any good at it (according to her).

Finished my BS in 3 years at PSU and went to law school at night - working full time (or three part-time jobs) to make ends meet. Inspiration comes in all forms. But, whenever I had any doubts about my chosen path, I just thought about that conversation. :b

Last edited:
With this wine, I'd say your pH is high and your TA is low. In other words; by the numbers, you don't have enough acid. But wine isn't just about the numbers - its about balance and taste and perception. My 2015 PS had similar numbers after more than a year. It tasted great, but I did a bench trial, adding a small amount of tartaric. Wow, did that wake it up. Do some bench trials, bringing your pH down to about 3.75 and see what you think.

You can't just follow pH on a red wine. You have to balance TA against pH. Some wines buffer pH (acid additions) better than others. Run a TA test in duplicate and see where your at. If you get to the top of the TA range and your pH is still high you need to stop and let it be. If you keep adding more you risk ending up with too much acid making a tart red wine that will always be tart. Use your taste buds as well obviously.

Plenty of wines being sold and garnering big bicks and high praise that have pH's in the 3.8 range or even a little higher. Just sulfite to the pH and be happy. They will last long enough for you and @ceeaton to drink them. ;)

Sounds like a plan.

Thanks Mike. I'll test the TA again and consider doing incremental adjustments. I'm not entirely sure what is "optimal" when it comes to TA. But it appears that mine, at least in the last test we did, was low. So, adjusting TA up to drop pH down makes sense to me. From there, yes - sulfite accordingly and enjoy the wine (when it's ready).

On a red wine usually 0.6-0.8 (g/ml) is the sweet spot.

I'm not entirely sure what is "optimal" when it comes to TA. But it appears that mine, at least in the last test we did, was low. So, adjusting TA up to drop pH down makes sense to me. From there, yes - sulfite accordingly and enjoy the wine (when it's ready).

Thanks Mike. I'll test the TA again and consider doing incremental adjustments. I'm not entirely sure what is "optimal" when it comes to TA. But it appears that mine, at least in the last test we did, was low. So, adjusting TA up to drop pH down makes sense to me. From there, yes - sulfite accordingly and enjoy the wine (when it's ready).

For the blend the Lanza Zin should help out a bit, my pre MLF numbers were a pH of 3.54 and TA of 7.8 g/L (or .78 g/ml). Guess I gotta test it again at some point. I swear I did but we must have been all out of writing utensils at the time, because I don't see it in my notes, maybe it is in one of the threads here.

For the blend the Lanza Zin should help out a bit, my pre MLF numbers were a pH of 3.54 and TA of 7.8 g/L (or .78 g/ml). Guess I gotta test it again at some point. I swear I did but we must have been all out of writing utensils at the time, because I don't see it in my notes, maybe it is in one of the threads here.

Marrying the two will help.

Last edited:
Actual picture of @ceeaton 's Zinfandel carboy. Don't think this will help much with the pH TA adjustment....... :)

pinot30.jpg

I checked my PS from 2015 last night, its pH is ~3.76 (it was in the low 3.90 before I blended a bit of an old Merlot/Cab blend and it came down to 3.8.

Will check TA tonight and bottle as it's been in carboy and barrel for almost 2 years now.
Last time I tasted it....really good, so it may be a winner now.. :b

Latest posts

Back