SG for Beefy reds seems to not drop

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-winer

Reaction score
I wanted to hear some opinions from some of the experts here on this. I've done a variety of kits - mist kits, WE Luna rossa, CC Showcase beefy red kits etc. Most of my cheaper mist kits, white wine kits and lighter red kits ferment like rockets down to .990 or close. But my beefy reds seem to hover just below 1.000 for a long time and I really haven't seen them go below .996. Is it generally true that some of these kits will not ferment as low? The instructions on the WE luna rossa say that they will not ferment below .998. Why is this? And is it possible that the beefy reds I'm doing share the same characteristic? I've tasted them and they are not sweet or anything.
Its also possible I've got the temp too low on these - I am in Minnesota. I use a brew belt and they are fermenting down but not as quick as my whites and mist kits do.

Any thoughts on this random rambling?

As a general rule of thumb you should keep them all warm (70-74) all the way through degassing and stabilization. Perhaps more solids in the larger red kits keep them from finishing up faster.

A beefy red can have lots of TDS (total dissolved solids), which can stay in the wine after fermentation. I can't say this as a scientific fact but it seems to me a wine with lots of TDS would be heavier than one without. But maybe I am 100% off course on this one.

Mike the chemist should be able to tell us. Mike?

After you rack I would degas a little even though the gravity may not be .990. Adding a little O2 here can WAKE UP" the yeast. Solids and gass can hold up fermentation

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) will effect the final specific gravity. Since the wine has more solids in it, it will be more dense even when fermented to complete dryness (no sugar left). This could in fact be the reason you don't seem to go as low (ending SG).

A beefy red can have lots of TDS (total dissolved solids), which can stay in the wine after fermentation. I can't say this as a scientific fact but it seems to me a wine with lots of TDS would be heavier than one without. But maybe I am 100% off course on this one.

Mike the chemist should be able to tell us. Mike?

Thanks - I guess I won't take the reading too serious then, but I will do as Tom says and stir it up some. I am racking to secondary tomorrow, so I'll stir it tonight and see if that helps. I've tasted it and it seems finished to me.
I agree on the TDS. All my whites fermented down to .990 but my reds max out at around 995 or higher it seems.

I make a lot of reds with grape packs and 0.995 is the absolute lowest I have had one go. Usually 0.996 or 0.997 is about average for me on a grape pack kit.

I make a lot of reds with grape packs and 0.995 is the absolute lowest I have had one go. Usually 0.996 or 0.997 is about average for me on a grape pack kit.

My lowest has been .996 for reds.

Thanks for your comment about TDS, Mike. I thought I was right but was not sure. Logically, with lots of TDS, the wine will start out with an SG a little higher than if it had lower TDS. Since it finishes a little higher, the difference still gives a reasonably reliable value ABV calculation.

i think the solids are the main issue but Tom's mention of co2 is not to be looked past...excess co2 can play a part in what the hydrometer is reading...degas throroughly to rule out that gas is any issue

i think the solids are the main issue but Tom's mention of co2 is not to be looked past...excess co2 can play a part in what the hydrometer is reading...degas throroughly to rule out that gas is any issue

I agree, Al, no doubt that CO2 makes a difference.

Now that I think of it the reds with grape skins are the ones that seem to stay around .995 or higher as Mike said. I did a few WE kits that had no skins and those fermented to .990 or so. The only exception is the Luna Rossa which says in the instructions that it will only go to .998

They taste fine to your point AL.

Just wanted to post a follow up. I stirred and heated up the must as suggested and overnight the SG dropped to .994 so that was a good suggestion.

Thanks for the help.

Thats a pretty big overnight drop. When you stirred it up did you see much CO2 being released? Wondering if the drop was from yeast coming back to life or just CO2 causing problems with your Hydrometer.

Good ending SG for whatever reason.

You should be an inspector or investigator. I wasn't actually quite truthful in my reply. I actually had already turned up the heat the night before because the must was getting pretty cool and I wanted to get more CO2 released. So, timewise it was about 2 days with more heat. Either way I'm thrilled with the results.

Latest posts

Back