Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > WineMakingTalk.com Forums > Introductions > Newbie learning the ropes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-2016, 12:52 PM   #21
claywine12204
Junior Member
 
Dec 2016
Posts: 26

Sounds good. I think I will do morning at night since I'm working through the day. So this process might take a few weeks then? Trying to get a general idea of the progress I'm supposed to see every few days. Do I pretty much wait until the SG hits 1.000 no matter how long it takes then rack to the carboy?

So is my understanding that once the SG hits 1.000 it's considered "dry" so not sweet at all? Since I like sweet wine will most of the sweetness come from back sweetening then since I'm taking it all the way dry?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #22
Johnd
Middle Aged Member
 
Jun 2015
Posts: 1,918
Liked 1193 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 738


Quote:
Originally Posted by claywine12204 View Post
Sounds good. I think I will do morning at night since I'm working through the day. So this process might take a few weeks then? Trying to get a general idea of the progress I'm supposed to see every few days. Do I pretty much wait until the SG hits 1.000 no matter how long it takes then rack to the carboy?

So is my understanding that once the SG hits 1.000 it's considered "dry" so not sweet at all? Since I like sweet wine will most of the sweetness come from back sweetening then since I'm taking it all the way dry?
You could get to 1.00 in a few days, could take a week or two, temps play a part in that. At 1.000, good time to rack to a carboy, should then finish fermenting to perhaps as low as .990. Anything below .996 is dry in my book, but when the SG doesn't change for three days in a row, it's done fermenting.

Once the sugar has been converted to alcohol, you can adjust the sweetness to your taste, but ONLY after adding both sulfites and sorbate. I think it's best to sweeten only after your wine is clear and free of CO2, so you can really taste the characteristics as you sweeten.
__________________
John

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy. - Benjamin Franklin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:45 PM   #23
claywine12204
Junior Member
 
Dec 2016
Posts: 26

So I stirred, squeezed and measured tonight and the SG is 1.076 and temp jumped up to 75 so I moved the bucket to the basement to cool it down. Every time I have went to stir it looks really frothy so something is happening, so do I expect these very small changes in SG or at some point does it take off and I will start to see bigger changes in the SG?

Also, so far I'm measuring straight from the bucket, should I be taking a sample out to measure or does that make a difference?


 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:48 PM   #24
heatherd
 
Jan 2014
Posts: 1,381
Liked 434 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 1832


Quote:
Originally Posted by claywine12204 View Post
So I stirred, squeezed and measured tonight and the SG is 1.076 and temp jumped up to 75 so I moved the bucket to the basement to cool it down. Every time I have went to stir it looks really frothy so something is happening, so do I expect these very small changes in SG or at some point does it take off and I will start to see bigger changes in the SG?
@claywine12204 A temperature of 75 is perfectly fine for fermentation. Moving to the basement to cool it down will likely slow the fermentation. That's not necessarily bad, just means it will take more time.
__________________

This is what I have made

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #25
claywine12204
Junior Member
 
Dec 2016
Posts: 26

So should I expect these very small changes in SG (this morning is 1.074) or at some point does it take off? I just want to make sure that it is progressing because I definitely see a lot of foam every time I go to stir.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:15 PM   #26
heatherd
 
Jan 2014
Posts: 1,381
Liked 434 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 1832


As long as your hydrometer readings keep moving it is still fermenting.
__________________

This is what I have made

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:49 PM   #27
claywine12204
Junior Member
 
Dec 2016
Posts: 26

Ok sounds good. So I hope I'm on a good track. Here's how it's progressing:
12/26 9PM added everything in step 1 SG=1.082 57F
12/27 9PM pitch yeast SG=1.080 68F
12/28 9AM SG=1.078 71F
12/28 9PM SG=1.076 75F
12/29 9AM SG=1.074 69F
12/29 9PM SG=1.072 68F

Normally I see a purple sludgy/foamy material on top, but tonight in addition to that I'm also seeing clear foam/bubbles as well. Hope everything is ok because I really wouldn't know if it's not.

At least it doesn't stink!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:10 AM   #28
claywine12204
Junior Member
 
Dec 2016
Posts: 26

So I know you guys are saying everything is ok, but I took another reading this morning and it is reading 1.070. So I'm happy it is going in the right direction, but I keep reading that you don't want the lees in the wine over 5 or so days. At the rate in which it's fermenting it might be several weeks until I hit 1.00. Should I worry?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:20 AM   #29
Johnd
Middle Aged Member
 
Jun 2015
Posts: 1,918
Liked 1193 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 738


Quote:
Originally Posted by claywine12204 View Post
So I know you guys are saying everything is ok, but I took another reading this morning and it is reading 1.070. So I'm happy it is going in the right direction, but I keep reading that you don't want the lees in the wine over 5 or so days. At the rate in which it's fermenting it might be several weeks until I hit 1.00. Should I worry?
You shouldn't worry about the lees at this stage, but try to get the temperature up to 75 and keep it there. Temps dropping into the upper 60's will slow down the whole process.
__________________
John

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy. - Benjamin Franklin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:51 AM   #30
claywine12204
Junior Member
 
Dec 2016
Posts: 26

So my batch has been progressing very well and I'm close to racking to the carboy. I'm not sure why I just now thought of this, but I may have been taking my readings incorrectly. So I normally twice a day open the lid, remove and squeeze the fruit bag, stir and then I take the measurement. With me taking the measurement at the end after stiring up the sediment will that interfer with the accuracy of the SG reading? Currently the SG is 1.010 and still very frothy. Should I still wait until the SG is at 1.0 before racking? Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Wine Making Forum Replies Last Post
Best Vine Trellis Ropes/Strings? robertrobertsmiami Grape Growing & Vineyard Forum 1 07-10-2013 04:04 AM
Always Learning grassybranchwines Introductions 4 03-19-2013 07:07 PM
Learning To Keg nursejohn Beer Making 6 11-26-2011 08:27 PM
Im learning scotty General Chit-Chat 9 06-19-2006 02:33 PM
Learning Process RAMROD Equipment & Sanitation 11 04-01-2005 01:09 PM


Forum Jump