Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > WineMakingTalk.com Forums > Introductions > Newbie learning the ropes

Old 12-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
claywine12204

Dec 2016

Not sure what all that is in your truck, but looks like a serious setup to me!

Ok so I have a few more questions:
1. Once I get to step 3 and he says to cover the primary, am I locking the bucket's lid tight or leaving it cracked like he says in step 1?
2. What is the average time that it takes for the SG to get below 1.0 and time to rack into the carboy? 1-2 weeks?
3. In step 4 is says to degas the wine, but how do I do this? Am I just to stir, swirl, mix a lot once in the carboy? Seems like it would be difficult to stir using such a small hole in the carboy
4. In step 5 it says to add sugar, is this what I hear people calling back sweetening?
5. Once I do back sweeten and the taste is right and ready to bottle how do I know her fermentation is done so it's safe to bottle?
6. When is the first time I can taste the wine t determine the taste and if I need to add sugar?

Thanks again guy, just trying to get my ducks in a row before I start my journey.

Old 12-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #12
Hokapsig

Sep 2011
Liked 234 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 78

1. I would just leave it cracked.
2. depends on temp and your yeast. some take as long as 3 weeks, some sooner. check your hydrometer for progress
3. turn your mixing spoon upside down and put the handle in the carboy and stir. And stir, and stir and when you're tired of stirring, stir some more. NO FIZZY DB.... Or buy an All In One pump and let it degass for you...
4. that is backsweetening - correct...
5. Make sure to add K Meta (potassium metabisulfite) and sorbate to your wine BEFORE back sweetening. If not, the yeast will start up again and you'll have rocket fuel in your fermenter. too much alcohol makes it tough to drink for a while. the sorbate keeps the fermentation from starting again in your bottles. From experience, it's not fun to come home to corks shooting off your bottles...
6. Taste AFTER you stabilize with the K meta and add the sugar in the recipe. If you need more, then add slowly or bench test before adding any sugar at all. Do you like a sweet wine or an off dry DB??? Take about 500 ml and do some testing. Use the ferm calc to help you with sugar additions....

good luck and welcome to the obsession....

NorCal Likes This 
Old 12-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #13
claywine12204

Dec 2016

Thanks for all the help, that clears some things up! I like sweet wines so I'm expecting to back sweeten. So from my understanding when you rack to the carboy at SG around 1 that means it's dry (not sweet at all)? When I back sweeten what is typical for a semi-sweet- sweet wine 1-2 cups more of simple sugar?
Also, when I add the K meta how long after do I add the sugar? Right away?

Old 12-27-2016, 10:14 AM   #14
NorCal

Apr 2014
Liked 848 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 221

It is very difficult to stop fermentation, unless you were going to bring the abv to 20% (port style). The common practice is let it ferment dry (under 0) rack, SO2, sorbate, then backsweeten. Even with all this, once you introduce sugar again, it is best to let it sit and make sure it is stable in bulk for a few weeks, before bottling.

As far as backsweetening, you can do a bench trial and figure out the sugar to wine ratio you like or just add little by little to the carboy until it taste the way you want. Always stop a little short and taste the next day. You can always add more, it's hard to take sugar out of solution.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
cpfan

Nov 2006
Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by claywine12204 View Post
Also, when I add the K meta how long after do I add the sugar? Right away?
You need to add K-meta and sorbate before sweetening.

Steve

Old 12-27-2016, 01:38 PM   #16
claywine12204

Dec 2016

Another question....I used a 3.5 lb of the mixed berry bag (I have a 3gallon carboy) I also thawed about a lb of blackberries. I never put the blackberries in since I was nervous I was going to change the ratio up too much. Should I still keep them out or if I do add them should I increase anything else?

Old 12-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #17
NorCal

Apr 2014
Liked 848 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 221

You should be getting near the end of fermentation. I would freeze the fruit and use it on the next project.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:21 AM   #18
claywine12204

Dec 2016

So I added the yeast last night and this morning took my first reading SG 1.080 with a temp of 70F. I squeezed the fruit bag stirred for about 5 mins and placed the lid and towel back on loosely.

My question is do I measure and stir once a day or multiple times? I just peeked and can see a lot of foam already since this morning.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:02 PM   #19
cmason1957

Aug 2011
Liked 786 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I measure the SG every other day. Stir and squeeze 1 to 3 times a day. You want to keep the fruit bag wet. Push it under the surface and stir around, just gentle stirs, no need to get crazy about it.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #20
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean

Nov 2012
Liked 779 Times on 556 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by claywine12204 View Post
So I added the yeast last night and this morning took my first reading SG 1.080 with a temp of 70F. I squeezed the fruit bag stirred for about 5 mins and placed the lid and towel back on loosely.

My question is do I measure and stir once a day or multiple times? I just peeked and can see a lot of foam already since this morning.
As cmason stated, stir 1 to 3 times a day. I stir twice a day. Once in morning, and once at night. Also, you don't need to stir for 5 min. only a min. or so.
And yes, take SG reading every other day for first week, then possibly every day as it gets closer to 1.000.