Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > WineMakingTalk.com Forums > Introductions > Hi all

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
Twinstacks

Nov 2016
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hi folks.
Just joined this forum as it seems a wealth of knowledge.
I recently bought a wine started kit and have been bitten buy the making bug and went and bought a few more items to help me.
I bought a Chardonnay kit and put it into a demijohn and followed all the instructions so far. At the time of making the wash I did not have a hydrometer to take starting gravity but the kit says it will be around 12%abv. It has been bubbling away for about 12-14 days and have just took a reading this very minute and it shows 1.012. The bubbling on the airlock is now very very slow and I have so many questions but don't want to burden to many with massive amounts of questions. Can anyone give me any hints. Thank you most kindly.
Colin

heatherd Likes This 
Old 11-21-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
rustbucket
Supporting Members

Aug 2015
Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Twinestacks,

Welcome to the forum!

Once the specific gravity gets below 1.010, you should rack it to another carboy in order to get the wine off off the sediment in your demijohn. If you don't have another carboy, just rack it to a cleaned and sterilized bucket, clean and sterilize your demijohn, then rack the wine back into the demijohn. Continue to follow the instructions that came with your kit and you will end up with a good drinkable wine.

Don't hesitate in asking questions on this forum. We all learn from the answers as different people, experienced in wine making, provide the methods they use in making the best wine possible from a kit.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #3
Bodenski

Nov 2016
Liked 92 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Welcome! I've asked several dumb questions in the short time I've been on here. Folks are nice, and they love to help. So ask away!

"1gallon containers are the gateway drug." - NorCal

Old 11-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Twinstacks

Nov 2016
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys. I am keeping an eye on the airlock as it is now still bubbling but very very slowly. I take it that when the bubbling stops then the yeast has done its duty or can it still be fermenting when there are no bubbles rising in the airlock? From what I have read always go with what the hydrometer tells me and rack it off the yeast when it's around 1 on the SG.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
bkisel

Jun 2013
Liked 1314 Times on 797 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

Welcome to the forum!

Hints...? Don't eat yellow snow!

Joking aside, you really ought to just start asking us questions. We thrive on answering questions especially for folks just starting out. [We could give you hints for stuff you'll never do or encounter.]

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 11-21-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
rustbucket
Supporting Members

Aug 2015
Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Twinstacks,

It could still be fermenting. The slowness you're seeing in the fermentation could be due to the temperature of your wine. If it is below 70 degrees Fahrenheit, it would ferment slowly; too slow to show in your fermentation lock. The best guide is the specific gravity reading. The SG of a fully fermented wine should be 0.996 or less.

Twinstacks Likes This 
Old 11-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
Twinstacks

Nov 2016
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok thanks guys. The wine in my demijohn now seems to be getting a head on it like beer ha ha is this normal. I have a heat belt around it and it's near the top keeping the wine at 24 degrees since the start.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:03 PM   #8
Bodenski

Nov 2016
Liked 92 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinstacks View Post
Ok thanks guys. The wine in my demijohn now seems to be getting a head on it like beer ha ha is this normal. I have a heat belt around it and it's near the top keeping the wine at 24 degrees since the start.
You can stop seeing bubbles for a couple of reasons.
1. Gas escaping by another means (i.e. poor seal)
2. Yeast have stopped working

Yeast can stop working for a couple of reasons.
1. No more food (i.e. sugar) for them to munch on
2. Alcohol level is too high (i.e. too toxic of an environment for the yeast to keep working)
3. Other causes of "stuck" fermentation. (I don't know all of these. Temp is one, but other things can also cause yeast to quite premature as well)

So yeah, getting an SG is the way to know if it's "done" or if the yeast just quit working early for some reason. And check the seal to make sure gas isn't escaping another way!

(Disclaimer - I'm still new at this myself, so take everything I say with a grain of salt!)

"1gallon containers are the gateway drug." - NorCal

bkisel Likes This 
Old 11-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #9
Twinstacks

Nov 2016
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok. Thanks very much. Can I over ferment it if I leave it for another couple of days. It's still bubbling all be it very slowly now and was just wondering if the bubbles slow down as it's nearing its end of fermentation when all the sugars have been turned to alcohol. Does anyone know why the wine has a frothy head on it now. Also I sterilise everything before I take a sample but can I leave test jar and hydrometer in the sanatiser or must I replace it every time I reuse the equipment. Thanks guys.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:43 PM   #10
Amanda660
Haven't met a grape I didn't like!

Nov 2014
Liked 136 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Welcome! Found this forum 2 years ago and the people here have saved gallons and gallons of my wine from a sad journey down the drain.
I rack my wine when it is at or just under 1.010.
I use my test equipment, wash it, sani it and put it away (then wash and sani it again before the next use) so I'm not sure on the last question.
You have a lot of experience at your finger tips so use it without concern. The more information you can attach to your question the better - it will reap you the best assistance! Enjoy

Twinstacks Likes This