Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Meads > What to do what to do??

Old 11-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #11
jburtner

Apr 2016
Liked 164 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I'm going to start this batch this weekend....

Planning to add enough honey to make it in the 11-12% ABV range but keep it pretty much straight Apple Cider & Honey - Planning to add 10# of mixed apples instead of another gallon of juice.

To enhance mouthfeel I have heard of adding banana. Any idea of range of how much for a six gallon batch?

Any recommendations on type of Tannin?

Might I consider a # or two of white grapes?

Oak in primary & during Bulk Age?

D47 for yeast?

Thanks and I'll update with details / etc as it goes..

Cheers,
johann

Old 11-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
jburtner

Apr 2016

Ended up with this -

6x gallons cider no preservatives pasteurized
8x lbs honey
2x lbs golden raisins - rehydrated a d chopped
10x lbs honey crisp apples. Sliced cored chopped.
2x bananas chopped no skins
1tsp wine tannin
4oz medium american oak shavings.

Sat overnight - sg~1090. Then strained into a grain bag. Tied it off.

Rehydrated lalvin D47 with warm water and 1tsp yeast energizer. 30m. Pitched.

Will add some fermaid k once AF starts then remaining dose @ about 1/2 way through AF.

Off to the races!

Cheers,
Johann
image.jpg  

Old 11-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
jburtner

Apr 2016

Despite ambient temp of 59F in the cellar (and in the must) the yeasties are doing their job as of this cold morning and I rewarded them with about 4g of Fermain K. My brewbelt does not seem to be providing heat either so I nabbed a heating pad and wrapped it to the side of the brute can.

Before I pitched the yeasties I was blown away by the wonderful smell of the apple / honey blend but it really brings a very nice aroma to the whole cellar now with the ferment kicking in.

I have another heating pad - slightly larger- if needed. I'll be checking tonight.

Cheers!
-johann
image.jpg  

Reason: Add photo

Old 11-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #14
jburtner

Apr 2016

It was down to an SG of 1020 yesterday so progressing without issue. I step fed the fermaid k and I feel like I noticed better smell a couple hours after mixing it in. Racked to secondary yesterday too and its bubbling away nicely. Should go dry within a day or two now. I forgot to mix in the bentonite slurry at the start so I mixed in a couple teaspoons this am since it looks like there is a lot of sediment. I'm hoping I can get it to drop nice and compact. Had a cyser volcano when I mixed the bentonite which was fairly exciting but the camera wasnt ready...

Cheers!
-jb

Old 11-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #15
Bodenski

Nov 2016
Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I've been following this for a little bit. What made you choose Honeycrisps as the apples? Most things I've read have said you want to use more of a sour apple for brewing (thinking hard cider) than a sweet one, and honeycrisps are definitely in the sweet category. I'm just curious what influenced your decision to go with those.

"1gallon containers are the gateway drug." - NorCal

Julie Likes This 
Old 11-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #16
jburtner

Apr 2016

Nothing in particular but I usually like to eat that kind and I wasn't too worried because it was just 10# fresh apples compared to 6 gallons of cider...

BTW, when I transferred to secondary the apples in the bag were just about completely gone - just oak chips were left in the brew-bag... So pretty much all 10# converted to juice - and sediment...

Cheers!
-jb

Old 11-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #17
jburtner

Apr 2016

Lee's are slowly "compacting" and it's still bubbling so hoping to get a full 6 gallons out of this one with some top up.

Cheers!
-johann
image.jpg  

Old 12-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #18
jdeere5220
Farmer Member

Jan 2010
Likes Given: 4

I back-sweetened one 6 gallon batch of dry apple wine I made last year with 1 lb of honey. Might have been the best apple wine I ever made. I like the dry apple wine too, but that slight sweetness and honey flavor were REALLY good. Too bad it's all gone now....

Old 12-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #19
jburtner

Apr 2016

This is tasting pretty good so far. I added a small bag of dried mango slices and it's sitting on the fine lee''s which I stir up regularly. May add another once I let it sit for a while..

Cheers!
-j

Old 12-21-2016, 09:00 AM   #20
jburtner

Apr 2016

The mango bits are getting swirled. Lost a bit of headspace in rackings. Might top up with "some juice and honey" just for fun. Pretty cold in the basement but it bubbles a little since I added the dried mango.

Cheers!
-jb
IMG_3761.jpg