I started this on 12-06-16.
Mesquite Bean Mead
2.5 gallons juice from boiling mesquite beans, frozen then thawed
1 gallon mesquite honey
.5 gallon mesquite bean syrup
water to 5 gallons
1 T pectic enzyme
I'm doing a bit of a modified version of TiOSNA (mainly because I ordered Fermaid K, but forgot about ordering DAP, plus didn't realize I was out of GoFerm). More information about that can be found here: http://www.meadmaderight.com/tiosna--inorganic-.html
It's fairly cold in the house and we are having our first cold snap. Lows will be in the 20s/highs in the 30s. Fermentation was a bit sluggish so I put my heating pad around the carboy last night, just to give it a little boost and get it rocking and rolling. It turns off automatically after a bit so I wasn't worried about my temperatures for D47 getting too high. When I got up this morning the carboy was chugging away.
I will add bentonite on the 3rd day of fermentation.
This will be a 5 gallon batch.
Once I rack, I still have a 1/2 gallon of mesquite bean syrup (same as the juice, just boiled down to a thicker more potent flavor). I'm hoping I don't have to use much of it for top offs, etc, because I have another idea I'd like to try on a test batch with it.