Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Meads > Cherry Mead

Old 10-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Jericurl

Sep 2013
Liked 680 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 513

It's still a bit cloudy, but I'm hoping this one will clear up without any intervention.

I started this on 01-11-16, 1 gallon batch.

64 oz black cherry juice

3 lbs dark sweet frozen/thawed cherries

2.5 lbs honey

.5 tsp mahlab

water to make whole mess a tad over a gallon (to account for racking losses)

RC212 yeast

Racked this the first time in January, then again on 03/27 and added a 1/2 a scraped vanilla bean.

Racked in July. Racked 10/09 and added heavy toast french oak cubes and 12 oz homemade cherry pit extract.

I think I added a pinch more mahlab in there at some point because the taste is pretty heavy. The almond tasting extract did a nice job of somewhat smoothing everything out and I'm hoping the oak deepens the flavor a bit.

Will probably be looking to bottle this one in December if it clears out enough.
Cherry Mead.jpg  

the_rayway Likes This 
Old 10-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
BernardSmith

Dec 2011
Liked 652 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Sounds really very delicious. I wonder if you placed this in the coldest part of your fridge for two or three weeks or even longer that the cold would cause the solids to precipitate out and so the mead would begin to clear faster...

Old 10-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardSmith View Post
Sounds really very delicious. I wonder if you placed this in the coldest part of your fridge for two or three weeks or even longer that the cold would cause the solids to precipitate out and so the mead would begin to clear faster...
That's actually not a bad idea. I may see if we can clear out a space in the fridge to do that.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
WildBillCiarbino
Expert in watching grass grow

Dec 2014

I made a similar 5g batch at the same time as you (i used tart cherry juice instead). Thought it was cleared, and bottled it about 6 months in. have a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottles now, but not enough to empty them and re bottle. I went with 1 vanilla bean per gallon and was a a bit too much at bottling. It has mellowed out a bunch having tried it a few days ago, but I probably should've gone with a half bean per gallon like you. How'd the sweet cherry flavor turn out?
6G Cherry Vanilla mead---Aging

Old 10-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean

Nov 2012
Liked 779 Times on 556 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Looks awesome Jeri.
I've got to say, you come up with some of the most unique wines.

For anyone else wondering, because I sure was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahleb

Old 10-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillCiarbino View Post
How'd the sweet cherry flavor turn out?
It's actually fine. I was concerned after it was already fermenting because I started reading that if you don't do a mix of sweet vs tart cherries, you can end up with a medicinal tasting cherry.
I don't know if the black cherry added something in the way of tartness or what, but it definitely isn't medicinal.
I think the half a vanilla bean was the perfect amount. It's not super identifiable in the blend, which is what I was aiming for. I just wanted it to be a background flavor and let the cherry shine through.

the_rayway Likes This 
Old 10-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineforfun View Post
Looks awesome Jeri.
I've got to say, you come up with some of the most unique wines.

For anyone else wondering, because I sure was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahleb
It's an amazing flavor. A little goes a very long way, but it is so worth it. I add it to some of my fruit jams and himself wants it added to just about every fruit pie that I make. 1/4 tsp in a cherry pie takes it into blue ribbon territory.

the_rayway Likes This 
Old 10-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
WildBillCiarbino
Expert in watching grass grow

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
It's actually fine. I was concerned after it was already fermenting because I started reading that if you don't do a mix of sweet vs tart cherries, you can end up with a medicinal tasting cherry.
I don't know if the black cherry added something in the way of tartness or what, but it definitely isn't medicinal.
I think the half a vanilla bean was the perfect amount. It's not super identifiable in the blend, which is what I was aiming for. I just wanted it to be a background flavor and let the cherry shine through.
good to know! i'll be trying another batch in Feb/March of next year and I'll try cutting the vanilla in half. Right now the vanilla flavor is mellowing, but unfortunately it overpowers the cherry. I suppose I could always do a straight cherry mead and mix it with my current batch...
6G Cherry Vanilla mead---Aging

Old 10-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean

Nov 2012
Liked 779 Times on 556 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
It's an amazing flavor. A little goes a very long way, but it is so worth it. I add it to some of my fruit jams and himself wants it added to just about every fruit pie that I make. 1/4 tsp in a cherry pie takes it into blue ribbon territory.
Do you buy it locally or have to order it online?

Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #10
Jericurl

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wineforfun View Post
Do you buy it locally or have to order it online?
I ordered it online through Penzeys