Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Meads > Cherry Mead

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Jericurl
Junior Member
 
Jericurl's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Posts: 1,203
Liked 680 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 513



It's still a bit cloudy, but I'm hoping this one will clear up without any intervention.

I started this on 01-11-16, 1 gallon batch.


64 oz black cherry juice

3 lbs dark sweet frozen/thawed cherries

2.5 lbs honey

.5 tsp mahlab

water to make whole mess a tad over a gallon (to account for racking losses)

RC212 yeast



Racked this the first time in January, then again on 03/27 and added a 1/2 a scraped vanilla bean.

Racked in July. Racked 10/09 and added heavy toast french oak cubes and 12 oz homemade cherry pit extract.

I think I added a pinch more mahlab in there at some point because the taste is pretty heavy. The almond tasting extract did a nice job of somewhat smoothing everything out and I'm hoping the oak deepens the flavor a bit.

Will probably be looking to bottle this one in December if it clears out enough.
Cherry Mead.jpg  
__________________
I always have to edit for grammar, clarity, and misspellings. Always.

the_rayway Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
BernardSmith
Senior Member
 
Dec 2011
Posts: 2,199
Liked 652 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 383


Sounds really very delicious. I wonder if you placed this in the coldest part of your fridge for two or three weeks or even longer that the cold would cause the solids to precipitate out and so the mead would begin to clear faster...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
Jericurl
Junior Member
 
Jericurl's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Posts: 1,203
Liked 680 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 513


Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardSmith View Post
Sounds really very delicious. I wonder if you placed this in the coldest part of your fridge for two or three weeks or even longer that the cold would cause the solids to precipitate out and so the mead would begin to clear faster...
That's actually not a bad idea. I may see if we can clear out a space in the fridge to do that.
__________________
I always have to edit for grammar, clarity, and misspellings. Always.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
WildBillCiarbino
Expert in watching grass grow
 
Dec 2014
Posts: 11

I made a similar 5g batch at the same time as you (i used tart cherry juice instead). Thought it was cleared, and bottled it about 6 months in. have a bit of sediment at the bottom of the bottles now, but not enough to empty them and re bottle. I went with 1 vanilla bean per gallon and was a a bit too much at bottling. It has mellowed out a bunch having tried it a few days ago, but I probably should've gone with a half bean per gallon like you. How'd the sweet cherry flavor turn out?
__________________
"Wild Bill" Ciarniello
Bottled: 6G Winexpert Moscato, 2x 6G Dragon Blood, Chilean Malbec, & California Riesling
5G JAOM---Aging
6G Cherry Vanilla mead---Aging

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean
 
wineforfun's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 2,499
Liked 779 Times on 556 Posts
Likes Given: 669


Looks awesome Jeri.
I've got to say, you come up with some of the most unique wines.

For anyone else wondering, because I sure was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahleb
__________________
D.J.
"Coffee by day, Wine by night"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
Jericurl
Junior Member
 
Jericurl's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Posts: 1,203
Liked 680 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 513


Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillCiarbino View Post
How'd the sweet cherry flavor turn out?
It's actually fine. I was concerned after it was already fermenting because I started reading that if you don't do a mix of sweet vs tart cherries, you can end up with a medicinal tasting cherry.
I don't know if the black cherry added something in the way of tartness or what, but it definitely isn't medicinal.
I think the half a vanilla bean was the perfect amount. It's not super identifiable in the blend, which is what I was aiming for. I just wanted it to be a background flavor and let the cherry shine through.
__________________
I always have to edit for grammar, clarity, and misspellings. Always.

the_rayway Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #7
Jericurl
Junior Member
 
Jericurl's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Posts: 1,203
Liked 680 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 513


Quote:
Originally Posted by wineforfun View Post
Looks awesome Jeri.
I've got to say, you come up with some of the most unique wines.

For anyone else wondering, because I sure was
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahleb
It's an amazing flavor. A little goes a very long way, but it is so worth it. I add it to some of my fruit jams and himself wants it added to just about every fruit pie that I make. 1/4 tsp in a cherry pie takes it into blue ribbon territory.
__________________
I always have to edit for grammar, clarity, and misspellings. Always.

the_rayway Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
WildBillCiarbino
Expert in watching grass grow
 
Dec 2014
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
It's actually fine. I was concerned after it was already fermenting because I started reading that if you don't do a mix of sweet vs tart cherries, you can end up with a medicinal tasting cherry.
I don't know if the black cherry added something in the way of tartness or what, but it definitely isn't medicinal.
I think the half a vanilla bean was the perfect amount. It's not super identifiable in the blend, which is what I was aiming for. I just wanted it to be a background flavor and let the cherry shine through.
good to know! i'll be trying another batch in Feb/March of next year and I'll try cutting the vanilla in half. Right now the vanilla flavor is mellowing, but unfortunately it overpowers the cherry. I suppose I could always do a straight cherry mead and mix it with my current batch...
__________________
"Wild Bill" Ciarniello
Bottled: 6G Winexpert Moscato, 2x 6G Dragon Blood, Chilean Malbec, & California Riesling
5G JAOM---Aging
6G Cherry Vanilla mead---Aging

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #9
wineforfun
Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Trying To Roast The Perfect Coffee Bean
 
wineforfun's Avatar
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 2,499
Liked 779 Times on 556 Posts
Likes Given: 669


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericurl View Post
It's an amazing flavor. A little goes a very long way, but it is so worth it. I add it to some of my fruit jams and himself wants it added to just about every fruit pie that I make. 1/4 tsp in a cherry pie takes it into blue ribbon territory.
Do you buy it locally or have to order it online?
__________________
D.J.
"Coffee by day, Wine by night"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #10
Jericurl
Junior Member
 
Jericurl's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
Posts: 1,203
Liked 680 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 513


Quote:
Originally Posted by wineforfun View Post
Do you buy it locally or have to order it online?
I ordered it online through Penzeys
__________________
I always have to edit for grammar, clarity, and misspellings. Always.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Wine Making Forum Replies Last Post
Sweet chocolate cherry Mead fementing issue OldCanalBrewing Meads 8 10-11-2013 06:32 AM
Cherry: wine, mead, or cider? greyday Meads 10 02-14-2013 05:39 PM
Chocolate/cherry mead BlueberryLady Beginners Wine Making Forum 0 12-01-2011 06:37 PM
Cherry Mead Sg afireguy Meads 7 11-30-2007 01:07 PM
Cherry Mead afireguy Meads 10 11-22-2007 10:31 AM


Forum Jump