Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Beer Making > Summertime boils

Old 06-23-2016, 02:07 AM   #11
RevA

May 2015
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswordy View Post
Still waiting for slow bubbling to stop...
Haha, it's still early.
At leaste you will soon have a lot of tasty beer.

jswordy Likes This 
Old 07-05-2016, 08:27 AM   #12
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012
Liked 3100 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 3309

Bottled these Monday, declaring my independence from InBev.

6 1/2 cases yield total.

Carboy (flat) tastes:

Mean Ruby Jean is not quite as red as I would have liked but it is red and has a nice fairly complex flavor that is on the lighter side due to the non-PC addition of adjuncts to lighten the taste. It should come out like beer a larger commercial craft brewery would produce for the mass market. It does have some fruity overtones.

Donald Trump is promising as a quick drinking and accessible beer that, with the exception of the stronger hop flavor, would fit in the display case well with InBev products. See,s to finish clean. It is a light straw color. Love the Centennial. I want to try this one sometime with just Saaz or Tetnang hops.

Now to wait for them to carb and see how they taste dry.

Side notes:

Fermented under a towel tent that captured air conditioned air, when on, from a vent. That slowed the fermentation down to about twice the length of time it usually takes.

Broke two bottles in capping this time, one after the other. What a mess. Unless I am forced not to, I am sticking exclusively to Sam Adams bottles from now on. Easy to get the labels off and they are stout. Not paying $12.99 for 12 empties when I can get them with BEER in them for $15.99.

Bottled 24 22-ounce bombers of these recipes, as well.

People Like This 
Old 07-05-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
RevA

May 2015
Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Enjoy it, sounds very good

As Martin Luther once said, “Do not suppose that abuses are eliminated by destroying the object which is abused. Men can go wrong with wine and women. Shall we then prohibit and abolish women?”

Andreas

Old 07-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #14
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

OK, so carb testing impressions...

Both carbed well in 8 days.

Mean Ruby Jean turned out to be a nice red after all, with a surprising cinnamon flavor that is also tart, due to the Tettnang hop. Fruitiness has gone away. I would cut this hop quantity in half next time. The beer is not at all unpleasant, but I would ideally want the Tettnang as a supporting player and not the main event.

Donald Trump is a nice lighter beer with good hop taste. Head retention is medium. I would maybe try the full 5 oz maltodextrin on this one if a foamy top is important. A more slam it down type beer could be achieved by cutting the hops quantity in half. Still, it is a very drinkable "session" beer.

Both are really young and surely will change in taste over a month or more.

Both pack the kind of punch I was looking for from 6.2-6.4% ABV.

I'm happy with both, and they give me room for more tinkering. I'll stick some poured pix up later on.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:50 PM   #15
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 560 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 376

I am 10 days into an American Smash Ale...4.5% abl with 3 ozs of Simcoe hops....smells like a freaking pine tree. I am not real crazy about real hoppy beers, but my son in law is and he has suffered though enough of my darker, maltier beers to deserve a little reward. Did I mention it smells like a freaking pine tree? A big freaking pine tree too!

First brew in my chest freezer temp controlled fermentation chamber. I really miss not hearing the airlock going tick tick tick in my office. Fermentation was slower to take off at 63 degrees, but she is chugging right along. The cheap 20 buck InkBird controller seems to function perfectly, freezer is very seldom runs.

Looking forward to my first cold crashing experience before AIO vac pump racking later...just turn down the temp on the controller.

One big mess up....FYI...when I bought that freezer...I used a couple of five gallon Home Depot buckets to verify that I could get two buckets in at the same time. You can....if they are 5 gallon Home Depot buckets. My fermenting buckets are bigger (duh 7.5 gallons)...can only get one at a time in there. The best laid plans of mice and home brewers.....

Anybody got a source for a shorter square vessel to ferment in??

jswordy Likes This 
Old 07-14-2016, 05:10 PM   #16
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

The Donald and some ribeye. It still needs a few more days to be clear but hell, what do I care?

Mismost Likes This 
Old 07-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #17
Elmer

Feb 2013
Liked 404 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Who needs clear beer?
Looks good!

“Solidly Indecisive” -Jon Fishman

jswordy Likes This 
Old 07-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #18
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 560 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
The Donald and some ribeye. It still needs a few more days to be clear but hell, what do I care?

I want some too!

Love eating what I grew and cooked while drinking what I made or brewed....it's the simple things that make life good.

jswordy Likes This 
Old 08-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #19
jswordy
Wonderful WINO

Jan 2012

Finally a glass of Mean Ruby Jean. Not as red as I wanted. Have to up the black a bit. This has an herbal/cinnamon taste. Don't know why they didn't clear better.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #20
Elmer

Feb 2013
Liked 404 Times on 321 Posts
Likes Given: 455

Quote:
Finally a glass of Mean Ruby Jean. Not as red as I wanted. Have to up the black a bit. This has an herbal/cinnamon taste. Don't know why they didn't clear better.

Did you add whirlfloc @15 boil?
Or cold crash prior to bottling?

But really, who needs beer to be clear in order to drink?

“Solidly Indecisive” -Jon Fishman